Live shows with handhelds?

palms...@googlemail.com

May 18, 2008, 5:44:54 PM5/18/08
to PalmSounds

Having just had the one show using handhelds I wondered what
experience others have on using devices live and what works well and
what doesn't.

herr prof

May 19, 2008, 8:02:29 AM5/19/08
to PalmSounds
Im pretty happy with my current setup which is piggy and lsdj
controlling a nord micromodular. Im still hashing out the best way to
use this live, but you can see an annotated photo of the work in
progress here:

http://flickr.com/photos/toilville/2483956559/

impete

May 19, 2008, 12:54:55 PM5/19/08
to PalmSounds
Did you see this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxtREMURO8U

Which is from a live show Tim did with miniMIXA, captured to video
from his PDA if I recall correctly!

The key as always is to be prepared, just like for any other concert,
knowing roughly what you're planning to do but with enough freedom in
your set to take it where you need to!

Pete

larsby

May 19, 2008, 4:29:49 PM5/19/08
to PalmSounds
I have a gp2x f200 (the white one with touch)

if there is something you want me to test, dont hesitate to ask (never
tried that VJ app though, since I couldent convert to the format on my
mac, and I couldent be botherd to walk over to one of my windows
computers.)

SO hey, want me to test something, and/or youtube it, just ask.

palms...@googlemail.com

May 20, 2008, 1:18:16 PM5/20/08
to PalmSounds
I've started thinking about getting myself a 2nd hand GP2X. I did like
the idea of the touch screen model, but I what I'm not sure about is
what the difference is between the different models. I know that some
(if not all) have a TV out, and serial which I assume is good for
MIDI, but do the later models still support serial and therefore MIDI,
or has it moved to USB?

herr prof

May 22, 2008, 7:52:25 PM5/22/08
to PalmSounds
Both Support tv/av, but Ive found the sound is better out the
headphone jack.

All support serial out, and the firestarter midi interface for
littlepiggytracker works on both systems:

http://wiki.littlegptracker.com/doku.php?id=lgpt:midi

The touchscreen model removed usb networking, which is a pain if your
a dev but shouldnt be a problem to use any apps as a user.

None of the major music/vid apps support the touchscreen, but they are
supposedly in the planning stages for both.

Peter

palms...@googlemail.com

May 23, 2008, 3:17:10 PM5/23/08
to PalmSounds
Thanks Peter, looks like I might go for the newer one after all