PAL-1 Cassette Interface Operation

Alberto Calò

Jun 25, 2024, 5:13:21 AMJun 25
to PAL 6502 computer

Hi guys,

I am a new happy PAL-1 user here!

I would appreciate if you could help me out understanding how to set up the cassette interface card correctly.

I have followed the steps documents within the cassette interface manual.

Then:

  1. I have used an old android phone as a recorder with an audio splitter.
  2. I have connected that PAL-1 Data Out to the line in microphone
  3. I have connected the PAL-1 Data In to the line out headphones.
  4. I have made the “recording” via the program:

                0000: A0 BF 8C 43 17 A9 16 20 7A 19 D0 F9

After running the VUTAPE program and playing the “recording” I get the same segments “ON “ on the rightmost LED as per the pictures shown on the manual.

However, I don’t get a steady synchronization pattern consisting of segments b, c and e as described in the manual. I can get random letters or numbers if I vary both the volume of my android phone and the RV2 on the cassette interface.

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Alberto