Starship on the LED Gadget

Jim McClanahan

Mar 20, 2022, 3:51:46 PMMar 20
to PAL 6502 computer
It goes without saying that every REAL computer MUST be able to show the Starship Enterprise in some form or fashion.

Thanks to Liu, the PAL-1 brings the KIM into that elite group of vintage machines...

starship.jpg

You can see the animation out on YouTube:

For those who promise not to mock me for the shear size of such a simple program, the source can be found on my github site at:

I learned a lot about the MAX7219 in the process of writing this. I don't think the PAL-1 could come close to limits of the speed on the MAX7219, but most simple animations aren't likely to press the horsepower of the PAL-1 either. There is a pretty significant timing delay between "frames" of the animation and without those delays the whole thing is just a blur.

Thanks,
Jim

GN L

Mar 20, 2022, 8:46:36 PMMar 20
to Jim McClanahan, PAL 6502 computer
Thanks Jim’s sharing! Now we have the Enterprise starship on LED matrix~~

> On Mar 21, 2022, at 3:51 AM, Jim McClanahan <jim3...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> It goes without saying that every REAL computer MUST be able to show the Starship Enterprise in some form or fashion.
>
> Thanks to Liu, the PAL-1 brings the KIM into that elite group of vintage machines...
>
> <starship.jpg>
>
> You can see the animation out on YouTube:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UThleUTNTBM
>
> For those who promise not to mock me for the shear size of such a simple program, the source can be found on my github site at:
>
> https://github.com/w4jbm/PAL-1-6502-SBC/tree/main/starship
>
> I learned a lot about the MAX7219 in the process of writing this. I don't think the PAL-1 could come close to limits of the speed on the MAX7219, but most simple animations aren't likely to press the horsepower of the PAL-1 either. There is a pretty significant timing delay between "frames" of the animation and without those delays the whole thing is just a blur.
>
> Thanks,
> Jim
>
> --
> <starship.jpg>

Best,
Liu

Neil Andretti

Mar 22, 2022, 4:59:12 AMMar 22
to PAL 6502 computer
Yay. Very structured code and a blueprint for all future projects. Thank you, Jim

enterp.gif

474E4C

Mar 22, 2022, 9:40:08 PMMar 22
to PAL 6502 computer
Yes, it's an assembly version of HOW TO programming the led matrix!

and, funny gif ;)

Michael Doornbos

Mar 23, 2022, 1:57:50 PMMar 23
to PAL 6502 computer
This is great. I've got the 4 in 1 gadgets in my cart now ;-)