New KIM-1 programs ànd articles

57 views
Skip to first unread message

Hans Otten

unread,
Sep 22, 2026, 9:50:18 AMSep 22
to PAL 6502 computer
From 1977 to 1986 I was heavily involved in the Dutch magazine Radio Bulletin. The magazine started in the time of the then new radio long before I was born!
I started writing about my interest in electronic since 1970. And in 1977 the magazine (Dick de Boer!) introduced me to the KIM-1, and that enhanced my joy with electronics with computing.
At the university in these days electronics and computer science also came together.
We have published many articles around the KIM-1. Alas in Dutch and only on paper. Published on this website, [see the Radio Bulletin pages
Many of the articles deserve a wider public, the KIM-1 and its clones are used by a broad international public.
So I started a new project: translate the articles to English and make the software available in assembler and binary format.
Follow the progress here, articles already published are:
Radio Bulletin articles in English – Retro Computing
Mastermind on the KIM
Morse decoding with the KIM
Melodiant
Frequencymeter
EPROM Programmer
See less

Hans Otten

unread,
Sep 22, 2026, 10:33:19 AMSep 22
to PAL 6502 computer
Added one more today. Not from Radio Bulletin, but from Byte Book of Computer Music 1979: Teach KIM to SIng

Kurt Pieper

unread,
Sep 22, 2026, 4:30:30 PMSep 22
to PAL 6502 computer
Hello, and thank you for the great work.
You have helped many users and retro-computing enthusiasts.
Over the years, I’ve noticed that fewer and fewer people know how to program a Z80 or 6502.
Many people collect them—which is fine, of course—
but what use is a computer to me if I can't program it?
My first 6800 was programmed in hexadecimal.
Keep up the good work and help ensure these computers aren't forgotten.

Thanks,
Regards,
Kurt

Hans Otten

unread,
Oct 5, 2026, 7:16:53 AM (6 days ago) Oct 5
to PAL 6502 computer
The project to ocr and translate the relevant KIM-1 articles in the magazine Radio Bulletin has finished.
About 30 articles about hard- and software now accessible in English.
Hans

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages