Techniques to suppress cursor (?)

D Hassler

Oct 28, 2022, 5:13:03 PM10/28/22
to PAL 6502 computer
Hi Group.
I have spent the afternoon trying to figure out how to suppress the block cursor when using the TIM/TTY on the PAL-1.  I thought there might be some location in $1700-177F I could change or intercept, but poring over the 6530-002 code did not help me much.

What are the best ways to do this?  Can it even *be* done?

Thanks, Dave

GN Liu

Oct 28, 2022, 9:54:19 PM10/28/22
to PAL 6502 computer
Hi Dave,

I don't know much about the KIM system kernel (still need time to get all the details), but I remember that TIM is 6530-004 and KIM-1(PAL-1)'s ROM is 6530-003 and 6530-002, so I think you mean the KIM monitor TTY.

From what I know about the KIM monitor, it only outputs the necessary characters, not include the cursor, the block (or bar or underline) cursor is displayed by your terminal emulator like tera term.

Thanks,
Liu

Neil Andretti

Oct 29, 2022, 3:15:46 AM10/29/22
to PAL 6502 computer
Hi Dave,
Liu is right... you need to send a "special command" to the terminal program to change things like blinking and color.
Take a look at this little demo:

here is the secret escape code that stops blinkenlights for me:
<ESC>[?25l Cursor invisible
with ESC = $27
[ = $5B
? = $3F
2 = $32
5 = $35
and l = $6C

send this charaters and blinking should be gone
learn more about the escape codes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ANSI_escape_code

GN Liu

Oct 29, 2022, 4:22:12 AM10/29/22
to PAL 6502 computer