Finished!

Magnus Olsson

Mar 28, 2022, 5:04:59 AM3/28/22
to PAL 6502 computer
I finished assembling my PAL-1 last night and I'm glad to report that it worked at first attempt (at least in the keyboard + LED display - I haven't tried connecting it to a terminal yet). It's a very nice little kit, and despite the fairly large number of solder points it was easy to build. I think that's to a large extent thanks to the high quality and good design of the PCB.

GN L

Mar 28, 2022, 5:11:43 AM3/28/22
to Magnus Olsson, PAL 6502 computer
Congratulations! You can enjoy lot of classic KIM-1 games and programs on the kit!

& Happy hacking 6502 ;)

> On Mar 28, 2022, at 5:04 PM, Magnus Olsson <mne...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I finished assembling my PAL-1 last night and I'm glad to report that it worked at first attempt (at least in the keyboard + LED display - I haven't tried connecting it to a terminal yet). It's a very nice little kit, and despite the fairly large number of solder points it was easy to build. I think that's to a large extent thanks to the high quality and good design of the PCB.
>

> --

Best,
Liu

Neil Andretti

Mar 28, 2022, 7:51:50 AM3/28/22
to PAL 6502 computer
For KIM / PAL Beginners I suggest Aart Bik's Tutorial: https://aartbik.com/retro.php (on the bottom of the site).
If you need Books, Magazins, programs, etc visit Hans Otten's site:  http://retro.hansotten.nl/6502-sbc/kim-1-manuals-and-software/kim-1-software/

Have fun!

Magnus Olsson

Mar 28, 2022, 9:14:36 AM3/28/22
to PAL 6502 computer
Thanks! I've already read up on a lot of that documentation when waiting for the kit to arrive (it actually took longer to clear customs at my end than it took to get here from China). I never got to use a real KIM-1, but I used to do quite a lot of 6502 hacking on my Acorn Atom back in the 80s. The amazing thing is that I still remember most of the instruction set after 35 years, so programming the PAL feels like coming home :)

Hans Otten

Mar 29, 2022, 7:11:18 AM3/29/22
to PAL 6502 computer
When you can disassemble code by looking at a hex dump, then you are really in trouble ;) I think I recognize 50% of 6502 instructions by opcode.

GN L

Mar 29, 2022, 8:23:37 AM3/29/22
to Hans Otten, PAL 6502 computer
Right, you may have the linguistic virus described in Snow Crash ;)
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/pal6502/b7325b15-9262-4d00-97b9-6e3193f13819n%40googlegroups.com.

Magnus Olsson

Mar 29, 2022, 9:19:29 AM3/29/22
to PAL 6502 computer
I don't think that I ever reached the level where I could disassemble code in my head, but I remember recognizing a large percentage of the opcodes by sight. That was a long time ago, though.

Magnus Olsson

Mar 30, 2022, 2:43:48 PM3/30/22
to PAL 6502 computer
I'm pleased to report that, despite some ominous reports here on this group, I got serial communication to work on the first attempt. No doubt that's thanks to the advice here, where several people recommended the UGREEN adapter with the PL2303 chipset. I used it with an F-F gender converter and installed the device driver from the CD which was in the box.