I made a text adventure game!

Kaveen R

Sep 18, 2022, 7:25:27 AM9/18/22
to PAL 6502 computer
Hey folks, while learning 6502 assembly, I wanted to try something a tad ambitious!

Made a text adventure game interpreter for my PAL. I'm still getting a hand of programming close to bear metal so my code is not that clean. It's super limited in its features, single pickup, and only 3 verbs (go/take/use)

I don't have a complete story for it, I might wing something later... Oh better, other folks can write some stories for it! Thought it to revisit this later and refactor it to add more functionality later.
Screenshot 2022-09-18 at 4.38.29 PM.png
details below to grab a copy,
Kaveen Rodrigo

Neil Andretti

Sep 18, 2022, 11:36:26 AM9/18/22
to PAL 6502 computer
Hi Kaveen,
I've already seen the news on twitter. Very cool!
It looks very promising. Thank you for sharing.  Sadly I can't get the PTP running. It spits out only garbage. How about the others in the group?image0.jpeg

Have a nice sunday,
Nils

Neil Andretti

Sep 18, 2022, 11:41:48 AM9/18/22
to PAL 6502 computer
OK, I found it out myself :D

F1 00.
as always....Do your CLD homework ;)

Kaveen R

Sep 18, 2022, 11:53:14 AM9/18/22
to PAL 6502 computer
Oops, I did it again :')
Thanks for the feed back will add that to the repo!

Kaveen R

Sep 20, 2022, 1:07:16 AM9/20/22
to PAL 6502 computer
I wrote a story and the interpreter is working now!

Instructions
  1. Load the intepreter papertape file.
  2. Load the game papertape file
  3. Start the program on 0x200.
How To Play
The Game takes an input of a verb and a noun, IE- go north
Supported verbs - go, take, use.

How To Make A Game?
Check the instructions on my repo.

Hope y'all enjoy it as much as I enjoyed making it!
I will definitely revisit this program and improve it further.

Have a great day,
Kaveen

Neil Andretti

Oct 29, 2022, 5:39:55 AM10/29/22
to PAL 6502 computer
Good morning group \o/
I've finally found some time to play around with Kaveens adventure game interpreter.
Here is my experience:

PHP is a PITA under windows. You need to use Linux.
YML is picky! Never use tabs, just spaces! You can convert tabs to spaces with "expand -t 4 storyx.yml > story_fixed.yml" under linux
Every room must have a text and a direction to go.
Announced rooms must exist.

Here''s my humble storytelling sh*t (it's really just a try, dont judge it)

have fun
Nils
story3.ptp

GN Liu

Oct 29, 2022, 8:08:16 AM10/29/22
to PAL 6502 computer
WooooooooooO!!!

This is also on my todo list, but I'm too slow