Troubleshooting the LED Matrix

Will Senn

Jul 18, 2022, 8:38:53 PM7/18/22
to PAL 6502 computer
Does anybody have any suggestions on how to troubleshoot the LED Matrix or otherwise determine if it's working? I soldered it up and connected it to the RIOT using the adapter, which apparently works fine as I used it to run tests on the Simple I/O gadget. I loaded the starship.mos file without error, but nothing happens when I run it from $2000.

Are there any simple diagnostics for the LED?

Will

GN L

Jul 18, 2022, 8:56:21 PM7/18/22
to Will Senn, PAL 6502 computer
Hi Will,

First you can check the LED matrixes are properly soldered on the PCB with the type information (788BS) printing is facing to the resistor R1, R2.

Then, you can try the simple test BASIC program http://pal.aibs.ws/assets/max7219x2.bas to see the results. You can send the program to RAM at the BASIC prompt just like other binary/paper tape file.

Finally, the short check and the socket check.
> --

Best,
Liu

Will Senn

Jul 18, 2022, 9:32:56 PM7/18/22
to GN L, PAL 6502 computer
On 7/18/22 7:56 PM, GN L wrote:
> Hi Will,
>
> First you can check the LED matrixes are properly soldered on the PCB with the type information (788BS) printing is facing to the resistor R1, R2.
Check!

> Then, you can try the simple test BASIC program http://pal.aibs.ws/assets/max7219x2.bas to see the results. You can send the program to RAM at the BASIC prompt just like other binary/paper tape file.
Well, I'll be... It works - If by works, it's supposed to put up a P
then to it's left an A, then change the P to L :).

So, fired up MS BASIC, at the OK prompt, did the CTL-A S thing in
minicom, chose ascii and pointed it at the .bas file, it sent the file,
then did run, et voila - working.

> Finally, the short check and the socket check.
Apparently, not needed - yay! now I have to wonder what I done wrong
with the starship.mos program :).

Thanks,

Liu!

GN L

Jul 18, 2022, 10:13:51 PM7/18/22
to Will Senn, PAL 6502 computer

> Well, I'll be... It works - If by works, it's supposed to put up a P then to it's left an A, then change the P to L :).

Yes, the test animation is [random]P -> AP -> AL -> [65/02]P, loop.

Best,
Liu

GN L

Jul 18, 2022, 10:15:58 PM7/18/22
to Will Senn, PAL 6502 computer
Sorry, the test animation is [random]P -> AP -> AL -> [65/02]L, loop.
Best,
Liu

GN L

Jul 18, 2022, 10:55:28 PM7/18/22
to Will Senn, PAL 6502 computer
Hi WIll,

Jim just updated the Starship program on GitHub. You can try the latest version to see the ship fly.
Best,
Liu