7 segment leds

Will Senn

May 7, 2022, 11:52:36 AM5/7/22
to PAL 6502 computer
Is there a film over the 7 segments that needs to come off? It looks like it, but I don't want to remove it if it's important...

Will

Magnus Olsson

May 7, 2022, 12:21:02 PM5/7/22
to PAL 6502 computer
I noticed the same thing when assembling my kit ut then I forgot about it. There is a rather thick plastic film covering the display, which I assume is meant to be left in place, but it's not precision cut - infact, it's slightly larger than my display units. That made me wonder if maybe it's meant to come off, but I've left it in place as it doesn't seem to cause any problems and is protecting the LEDs.

Jim McClanahan

May 7, 2022, 1:59:04 PM5/7/22
to Magnus Olsson, PAL 6502 computer
Most parts these days are made to be used in mass production with things like wave soldering. The cover over the LEDs is protective for that type of process and can be removed after they are installed. Another example is the piezo speaker on the gadget board that has a cover to protect it during "manufacturing" but that is removed for normal use. The LED covering doesn't really hurt anything through, so it doesn't really matter much.

Thanks,
Jim W4JBM

Will Senn

May 8, 2022, 11:23:03 AM5/8/22
to PAL 6502 computer
I'll leave it on, for the time being :). When the aesthetic bothers me enough to remove it, I will.

Will Senn

Jul 21, 2022, 9:32:08 AM7/21/22
to PAL 6502 computer
Does anybody know where to get some of that dark red plastic they use for old clocks? Or even a dark red plastic film? It would really help with the look of the LEDs.

Jeff M. Nay

Jul 21, 2022, 9:33:19 AM7/21/22
to Will Senn, PAL 6502 computer

Try a print shop. They may have a red film of some sort.

Jim McClanahan

Jul 21, 2022, 9:47:24 AM7/21/22
to Will Senn, PAL 6502 computer
If you search ebay for "Dark Red Acrylic Sheet" (or just about any other color you might want), you'll find a number of suppliers in various sized sheets.

Thanks,
Jim W4JBM