PAL-1 photo thread: Show us your kits and setup!

Hendrik-Jan Megens

Oct 17, 2021, 8:25:11 AM10/17/21
to PAL 6502 computer
The obligatory thread for showing off your completed kits and setup for the PAL-1. Also a great place to share building stories or ideas to inspire others.

I'll kick off with mine:

Inspired by an original KIM-1 that was attached to a piece of cheap plywood that is on display at the Homecomputer museum in The Netherlands, I decided to attach my PAL-1 to a piece of leftover floorboard - advantage: it doesn't warp!

E_vQmxeXoAM7s8w_.jpeg
Below is a picture of my PAL-1 ROM card connected to the ROM emulator designed by Kris Sekula (Mygeekyhobby.com).
E99lM7rXEAEUfsI_.jpeg

Cheers,
Hendrik-Jan

GN L

Oct 18, 2021, 8:30:14 AM10/18/21
to Hendrik-Jan Megens, PAL 6502 computer
Today’s setup😊

Best Regards,
Liu GN

Neil Andretti

Oct 18, 2021, 8:48:40 AM10/18/21
to PAL 6502 computer
IMG_4445.jpg

My current setup. Everything mounted on a Plexiglas, the PAL-1 itself is covered with plexi.
Above the Motherboard you see the raspbery zero running piGFX, on the bottom of the motherboard you see the dTR Tape emulator.
(sadly this does not work  in combination with the tape interface).

Nils

John Kennedy

Oct 22, 2021, 2:08:35 PM10/22/21
to PAL 6502 computer
I used my PAL-1 to help test a 6502 emulator I wrote - details here: https://github.com/GrantMeStrength/KIM1

I made a case out of acrylic and 3D printed some key caps too.

pal1c.jpeg

Marco Rey y Sander

Oct 31, 2021, 5:49:58 AM10/31/21
to PAL 6502 computer
Just assembled and performed the first tests. To match my software development the KIM Uno and the 6502 Microprocessor KIT (for which I am just trying to expand the monitor program):
IMG_3906.png

Ronny Ribeiro

Apr 10, 2022, 9:06:37 PMApr 10
to PAL 6502 computer
This post is my "hello world!" to the group :D
I wanted to show you the solution I adopted to get rid of the hot 7805 linear regulator. I've found this small 78xx pin-to-pin compatible dc-dc converter on aliexpress and it is very inexpensive. It can take 24V input and output 3A max. Worked like a charm!
By the way, I would like to thank everyone for all the information posted here. It helped me a lot!
Best Regards from Brazil,

Ronny
PAL-1_detail.jpgPAL-1_setup.jpg

GN L

Apr 10, 2022, 9:45:01 PMApr 10
to Ronny Ribeiro, PAL 6502 computer
Hi Ronny,

Thank you for sharing your photos and modification here!

It’s pleasure to see the PAL-1 on picture, and happy tinkering~

> On Apr 11, 2022, at 9:06 AM, Ronny Ribeiro <ronny...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> This post is my "hello world!" to the group :D
> I wanted to show you the solution I adopted to get rid of the hot 7805 linear regulator. I've found this small 78xx pin-to-pin compatible dc-dc converter on aliexpress and it is very inexpensive. It can take 24V input and output 3A max. Worked like a charm!
> By the way, I would like to thank everyone for all the information posted here. It helped me a lot!
> Best Regards from Brazil,
>
> Ronny
> <PAL-1_detail.jpg><PAL-1_setup.jpg>

Best,
Liu

Magnus Olsson

Apr 11, 2022, 11:59:22 AMApr 11
to PAL 6502 computer
Ronny,

I see you've put heat sinks on the 6502 and 6532. Did they get hot, too? Mine don't get warmer than about 30 degrees or so during normal operation.

I will put a heat sink on the 7805, in preparation for when my expansion boards arrive.

Hans Otten

Apr 11, 2022, 2:17:30 PMApr 11
to PAL 6502 computer
 NMOS like 6502 and 6532 get warm, not hot. Cooling is not necessary, never done it at 1 MHz, but it the will not hurt. Cooling the 7805 is advisable when yiu add extensions.

Magnus Olsson

Apr 12, 2022, 3:57:28 AMApr 12
to PAL 6502 computer
I have never seen an 8-bit computer that had a CPU cooler, that's why I asked.

Below is a close-up of my board just after assembly.

IMG_2211.JPG

Ronny Ribeiro

Apr 12, 2022, 5:16:03 PMApr 12
to PAL 6502 computer
Hi everyone!

They don't get hot, but they get pretty warm here in the tropics.
And here is what I think: these are vintage chips, they will not be around for much long. According to Arrhenius law, lifetime is shortened at higher temperatures (there are some chemical reactions and physical processes slowly going irreversibly forward inside every electronic component).
I just love these chips and computer so much that I decide to make things a little harder for entropy to take them away!
And the heatsinks brought some personality for my beloved PAL-1!

Cheers!

Jeremy Starcher

Apr 16, 2022, 8:37:56 PMApr 16
to PAL 6502 computer
Mine is mostly unmodified, but I've got it safely in a case case, well, I'm a clutz.

GN L

Apr 16, 2022, 11:40:42 PMApr 16
to Jeremy Starcher, PAL 6502 computer
Good looking case!!

I post a thumbnail of the pictures here for quick look~

https://postimg.cc/gallery/6q08zLR/a341631b

On Monday, October 18, 2021 at 5:48:40 AM UTC-7 master...@googlemail.com wrote:

My current setup. Everything mounted on a Plexiglas, the PAL-1 itself is covered with plexi.
Above the Motherboard you see the raspbery zero running piGFX, on the bottom of the motherboard you see the dTR Tape emulator.
(sadly this does not work  in combination with the tape interface).

Nils

liuga...@gmail.com schrieb am Montag, 18. Oktober 2021 um 14:30:14 UTC+2:

Today’s setup😊

On Sun, Oct 17, 2021 at 20:25 Hendrik-Jan Megens <hjme...@gmail.com> wrote:
The obligatory thread for showing off your completed kits and setup for the PAL-1. Also a great place to share building stories or ideas to inspire others.

I'll kick off with mine:

Inspired by an original KIM-1 that was attached to a piece of cheap plywood that is on display at the Homecomputer museum in The Netherlands, I decided to attach my PAL-1 to a piece of leftover floorboard - advantage: it doesn't warp!

Below is a picture of my PAL-1 ROM card connected to the ROM emulator designed by Kris Sekula (Mygeekyhobby.com).

Cheers,
Hendrik-Jan

Best Regards,
Liu GN

Best,
Liu

Jeremy Starcher

Apr 17, 2022, 1:01:33 AMApr 17
to PAL 6502 computer
Shoutout to the case's maker and page on Thingiverse.

Michael Doornbos

Apr 17, 2022, 7:02:51 AMApr 17
to Jeremy Starcher, GN L, PAL 6502 computer
Great case!

--
Michael Doornbos
Imapenguin.com
On Apr 16, 2022, 23:40 -0400, GN L <liuga...@gmail.com>, wrote:
Good looking case!!

I post a thumbnail of the pictures here for quick look~
<Screen Shot 2022-04-17 at 11.37.49 AM.png>

Neil Andretti

Apr 17, 2022, 7:13:45 AMApr 17
to PAL 6502 computer
Good job! I just used the 3D printed Keycaps of the file.
Btw: John also created some printable keycaps: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4885469

The dTR housing is very cool. Tuesday at work, I have access to the 3D printer \o/
Thank you Jeremy

Nils