Load from cassette, start/end address

Marek Karcz

Nov 13, 2023, 4:30:45 AM11/13/23
to PAL 6502 computer
Hello,
Does anyone know how to check the start address and how many bytes (or the end address) of the program loaded from tape?
Let's just assume that I know the program's purpose and execute address, but I don't remember start/end address as it was recorded to tape.
I appreciate any tips or reference to a documentation where I can find that info, short of reverse engineering the tape load routine - that'd be the last resort, I am hoping somebody already knows the answer.
Thanks,

Hans Otten

Nov 15, 2023, 4:47:16 AM11/15/23
to PAL 6502 computer
Yes, it can be done.

I wrote a program to reproduce a copy of a whole cassette of files. Hypertape.
That has routines to read ID and start address and end address.

With the KIM monitor, VEB $17ED $17EE  will have the end address loaded. Start address, ID is not stored.

Hans

Hans Otten

Nov 15, 2023, 5:56:06 AM11/15/23
to PAL 6502 computer
Oh, and of course The First Book of KIM has a program called 'Directory'