Cassette Recorder redux

Will Senn

May 3, 2024, 2:32:49 AMMay 3
to PAL 6502 computer
I'm back at it looking for a cassette recorder or proxy to buy. I'm cheap and refuse to pay more than $30 bucks for a recorder. Do y'all know of some currently available machines that are worth buying for saving and restoring programs to/from - or will a digital recorder do the job just fine and if so which ones?

So many new to choose from don't have tape counters, those that do are old... but if digital recorders will work for this, I'm ok with that, just need a pointer to something cheap and good...

Will

Hans Otten

May 3, 2024, 5:21:34 AMMay 3
to PAL 6502 computer
Most cheap simple cassette recorders will work fine. But avoid old ones, dried out belts are common.
Most digital ones will also work fine, Nils used one?
A PC with (USB) audio in/out is what I use if ever I use audio, which is rare.
MP3 might work, if compression is not set too aggressive.

But I have not used audio recordings since the last time I digitized my cassette collection in 2004, all in uncompressed wave files on the hard disk of my computer. The KIMtape DOS utility can read and write those wave files.
At that time  my computer controlled audio cassette desks, not used in 15 years, turned out to be garbage (completely crumbled belts and wheels) and I used an old simple cassette recorder to save the files.
I did adjust the head of the recorder (with the little screw hole next to it) for optimal pitch while playing old recordings.  This is a thing to check if this is available when buying a recorder!

Will Senn

May 3, 2024, 8:48:37 AMMay 3
to Hans Otten, PAL 6502 computer
Thanks Hans. I'm not sure why I get the urge to play  with cassette, but I do. This is helpful.