Focal-65 V3D reconstruction finished

Hans Otten

Feb 1, 2024, 10:36:25 AMFeb 1
to PAL 6502 computer
Focal-65 V3D for TIM and KIM-1 – Retro Computing (hansotten.nl)

I have reconstructed and preserved the source and binary of Focal-65 V3D.

Published in 1977 by the Denver 6502 Group, distributed by the Program Exchange.

A listing appeared last year of the version for the TIM (Jolt, SuperJolt) from 1977, by teh author Wayne Wall.

I typed it in exactly the way as shown in the listing, assembled it , hand checked  the bianry against the listing and tested it. SECONDRUN.jpg

The KIM-1 version should run in the PAL-1 with a memory expansion.
Note that this is the original unpatched version for a teletype. You may change it (in the source, or read the manual) for a video terminal.  (Backspace seems to work, but is not handled by the program as is!)

This is another (nearly identical) version of the Focal-65 I have on my site for several years.

Neil Andretti

Feb 2, 2024, 1:42:16 AMFeb 2
to PAL 6502 computer
As always Hans, impressive work.
nearly half of a decade this thing was just an audio file and now it's a fully reconstructed piece of software.

Even more amazing, that Dave Hassler had nearly the same idea and now we have two reconstructions after such a long time.
This is software archeology at it's best - the more the better!

 Have a nice weekend all of you.
Nils

Hans Otten

Feb 2, 2024, 10:20:12 AMFeb 2
to PAL 6502 computer
The Focal-65 Aresco version now also has a matching source, in a format as close to the original as possible,  to honor the original authors.

The binary output matches the original!

Now  improvements can be applied at source level, like backspace handling.