Fwd: ASPBAE releases 16 Asia Pacific Civil Society Spotlight Reports on SDG 4

Shaheen Attiq

Jul 13, 2019, 2:31:14 AM7/13/19

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: ASPBAE Secretariat
Date: Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 11:07 AM
Subject: ASPBAE releases 16 Asia Pacific Civil Society Spotlight Reports on SDG 4
To: ASPBAE Admin <asp...@gmail.com>

Dear ASPBAE Members and Friends,

We are pleased to share with you the Asia Pacific Civil Society Spotlight Reports on SDG 4 prepared by ASPBAE and national education coalitions in 16 countries in the Asia-Pacific Region.

These were launched during the side event on ‘Education to End Inequality and Promote Peace’ of the High Level Political Forum (HLPF) 2019, July 10 in New York.

These reports represent ASPBAE’s modest contribution to the monitoring process of the SDG-SDG4 implementation from the perspective of civil society, highlighting especially the concerns and aspirations of the most marginalised and excluded groups and the nature of civil society engagement in the official SDG-SDG4 processes at the country level, so far.

These reports were developed by ASPBAE and its members in the following countries: India, Nepal, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Kyrgyzstan, Mongolia, Japan, Cambodia, the Philippines, Indonesia, Vietnam, Timor Leste, Australia, Papua New Guinea and Vanuatu.

A Regional Report enclosed here summarises the findings of the Country Spotlight Reports as well.

There reports have informed the engagement of national education coalitions in the countries which have volunteered in 2019 to contribute their Volunteer National Reviews (VNRs) for the HLPF 2019, notably, India, Nepal, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Kyrgyzstan, Mongolia, Japan, Cambodia, the Philippines, Indonesia, Vietnam, Timor Leste, Australia, Papua New Guinea and Vanuatu.

For the rest, the CSO Spotlight Reports represent independent CSO assessments of progress on SDG 4 implementation intended to assist in facilitating a wider public debate especially at the country level, on the right to education and SDG4. This is especially important this year as the international community reviews SDG4 and the progress in meeting the overall SDG agenda, culminating in the UN SDG Summit on September 24-25, 2019 (New York) under the auspices of the UN General Assembly.

We thank our members and their constituencies who worked diligently to produce these reports. We also thank ASPBAE members who especially assisted in mobilising a youth voice and input into these reports; and in reviewing select Spotlight Reports for their attention to gender – in keeping with ASPBAE’s ongoing efforts to enhance gender-awareness and gender equity in our own work.

We congratulate all in their important endeavours to magnify the role education plays in achieving all the SDGs towards transforming our world to one that is peaceful, just, and where prosperity is shared and enjoyed by all, in this and successive generations.

If you wish to have more details on the CSO Spotlight Reports and the related processes of dissemination, please contact ASPBAE colleague, Rene Raya rrr...@gmail.com. He can lead you as well to the relevant ASPBAE member which developed the report.

Warm regards,

Maria Lourdes Almazan Khan
Secretary General, ASPBAE

ASPBAE Secretariat
Unit 106 Sterten Place Condominium, 116 Maginhawa Street,
Teachers Village East, Diliman, Quezon City 1101, Philippines.
Tel/Fax: 632 441 4594

--

Shaheen Attiq-ur-Rahman
Vice Chairperson BUNYAD

ASIA-PACIFIC Spotlight Report on SDG 4 (ASPBAE, 2019).pdf