How Theatre Wallay Develops a Theater Performance for Social Change

Theatre Wallay

Jan 11, 2024, 5:08:55 AMJan 11
to pak-...@googlegroups.com

Dear Member,

The way Theatre Wallay creates a theater performance for social change involves a thoughtful process. Here's how we go about it:

Understanding the Issue:

  • We begin by delving into a deeper understanding of the social issue at hand, such as Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR). This involves reading materials provided by our clients, usually NGOs or INGOs, and grasping their perspectives on the matter. We focus not just on statistics but on the human aspect, seeking real-life stories to make our performance relatable.
    Additionally, we aim to comprehend the viewpoints of our clients:

    • How they perceive the issue.

    • The efforts they've already made to communicate their message.

    • The challenges they face.

    • Their expectations from Theatre Wallay.

  • We also engage with the target audience, seeking their thoughts on the issue, reasons behind their views, consequences, and potential solutions. These insights form the foundation for a script that resonates with both our client's concerns and the audience's perspectives.

Using Improv Techniques:

  • Following our research and understanding, we employ Improv techniques within our team. In these sessions, the director provides situations, and actors, who have undergone training in Improv techniques, improvise without a fixed script. The scriptwriter observes and takes notes. Suggestions for scenes may come from team members, the scriptwriter, or even an audience present during Improv sessions.

Script Finalization:

  • The director and scriptwriter collaborate to develop a sketch of the script, which is then fleshed out over a few days. This script undergoes internal scrutiny by senior team members before being shared with our clients for their input. Client feedback is carefully considered and integrated before moving into the rehearsal phase. This collaborative and iterative approach ensures that our theater performance effectively addresses our client's concerns and resonates with the target audience in a language they understand.

  • Feel free to reach out to us if you plan to use theater as a tool for social change.

Regards,

Team Theatre Wallay
TW Den, Suite 2, 1st Floor, Kashif Plaza,
G 8 Markaz, Islamabad
Phone: +92 303 566 7670
TW Website