Using AVIV and webP wrong decision

jonathan maderer

Sep 12, 2023, 11:57:24 PM9/12/23
to pagespeed-insights-discuss
I'm the dev and designer of a Website for a Model, we use a lot of images to give our user the best experience. Off course i would like to speed up the whole Website and make every day little progress on it.

But as it comes to pagespeed insights i'm not okay with the sugession to use images in a modern format.

As it comes to Images from Real People like Models WebP  and avif are currently one of the worst ways to compress to images

As example a background image can be compressed as png to arround 200 Kilobystes, in a very losless way to more than 1 MB size with Webpg and Avif (And that would be visual to see).

What i don't like to see is that other web devs make real ugly and big websites just to gain higher pagespeed scores. That can not be the right way to give users the best expierence.

From my part i'm out from webp in (most) but not all cases when i can get a benefit i will use it, when not i get the penalty points for not using a modern format (but a bad one).

jonathan maderer

Sep 12, 2023, 11:58:58 PM9/12/23
to pagespeed-insights-discuss
and yes title shoul be "Avif" but i'cant edit my topic.