Creating kite, Network Error! (trying to run pagekite behind proxy)

Steve Murphy

Jan 23, 2013, 5:50:18 AM1/23/13
to pagekite...@googlegroups.com
Hi There,

I need to test some things running on http://localhost... and so I installed pagekite.

I'm sitting behind a web proxy and I'm guessing that is why pagekite is having trouble creating my kite.

Does anyone have any tips?

>>> Creating kite: myawesomekite.pagekite.me                         [CTRL+C = Cancel]

*** Network error!
***
*** There was a problem communicating with PageKite.net.
***
*** Please verify that you have a working Internet connection and try again!
*** Signing up ...

Bjarni Rúnar Einarsson

Jan 23, 2013, 9:10:58 AM1/23/13
to pagekite...@googlegroups.com
Hi Steve!

This can be somewhat tricky to solve - pagekite.py does have support
for HTTP proxies, but it is not terribly well tested yet. So it will
work with some proxies, but maybe not all.

To use it, try adding the argument --proxy=http:yourproxyip:proxyport
as the first argument to your pagekite.py command line. If your proxy
server requires authentication, you can use something like this:
--proxy=http:user:password@yourproxyip:proxyport

Hope this helps, let us know how it goes!

- Bjarni
--
Bjarni R. Einarsson
Founder, lead developer of PageKite.