PageKite on the way to Fedora and RHEL

Lukáš Zapletal

Feb 11, 2013, 4:52:17 PM2/11/13
to pagekite...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I have started working on packages for Fedora and RHEL (EPEL5/EPEL6). The review request for python-SocksipyChain is here:

PageKite will follow this week. If there are any Fedora packagers here, please take the review :-)

I will inform about the progress in this thread.

LZ

Lukáš Zapletal

Feb 13, 2013, 5:27:59 AM2/13/13
to pagekite...@googlegroups.com
The main PageKite package is now pending review too:

LZ

Bjarni Rúnar Einarsson

Feb 18, 2013, 9:52:54 AM2/18/13
to pagekite...@googlegroups.com
Hey Lukáš!

This is great news. I was looking at the rpmlint warnings, and I can
probably make some more upstream changes for you to clear some of them
up. The python shebang does not need to be in all the .py files for
example. It might also be better to remove lapcat entirely from the
RPM distro, as it is really still just an experimental tool which
isn't ready for prime time.

It was also pointed out to me by a friend that the documentation (the
README) in the socksipychain package is actually quite out of date,
which I should probably also fix before reviewers get a chance to
notice and complain.

- Bjarni
> --

Bjarni R. Einarsson
Founder, lead developer of PageKite.

Make localhost servers visible to the world: https://pagekite.net/

Lukáš Zapletal

Feb 18, 2013, 10:34:27 AM2/18/13
to pagekite...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

This is great news.  I was looking at the rpmlint warnings, and I can
probably make some more upstream changes for you to clear some of them
up.  The python shebang does not need to be in all the .py files for
example.  It might also be better to remove lapcat entirely from the
RPM distro, as it is really still just an experimental tool which
isn't ready for prime time.

Can you point me on a merge that removes those shebangs? Could make my life much more easier if I add a comment to BZ to ignore those warnings because upstream has fixed them. We need to get rid of all of them, the list is pretty long :-)

I can remove the lapcat from RPM - no problem at all.

It was also pointed out to me by a friend that the documentation (the
README) in the socksipychain package is actually quite out of date,
which I should probably also fix before reviewers get a chance to
notice and complain.

No need to rush on this one, would be nice for the next release. Not a blocker.

Cool. Now we must wait, but collegue of mine promised to look on it some day :-)

Bjarni Rúnar Einarsson

Feb 18, 2013, 3:03:00 PM2/18/13
to pagekite...@googlegroups.com
This cleans up most of the shebangs:
https://github.com/pagekite/PyPagekite/commit/412ffba9040032babbb12934e21fd9617e340a4a

The ones that are left, are actually used. Is this going to be a problem?

- Bjarni

Lukáš Zapletal

Feb 20, 2013, 3:28:13 PM2/20/13
to pagekite...@googlegroups.com
I have fixed the shebangs in the current version.

We have a reviewer now, please test the latest version of the package.

It's close now :-)

LZ

Lukáš Zapletal

Apr 4, 2013, 10:30:01 AM4/4/13
to pagekite...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

pagekite is in Rawhide (development version of Fedora). It will not install tho as one dependency is still in the review:

To test pagekite you can install this dependency:

and then you can install pagekite as well:

Please note it was converted to systemd - I'd appreciate any kind of testing.

I need to wait until the dependency is approved, then I will test on RHEL5/6 and then I can do the release for F18 and EPELs.

LZ

Bjarni Rúnar Einarsson

Apr 4, 2013, 11:30:39 AM4/4/13
to pagekite...@googlegroups.com
Wow, this is great news! Good job Lukáš. :-)

- Bjarni

Lukáš Zapletal

May 3, 2013, 3:17:56 PM5/3/13
to pagekite...@googlegroups.com
I am happy to announce that PageKite hits Fedora Rawhide.

You can install it directly in Rawhide in couple of hours.

Or you can test it with Fedora version 17+ - just download and install:

and then

Please report me issues. I will release EPEL and F18/19 versions later on.

LZ

Bjarni Rúnar Einarsson

May 10, 2013, 12:53:23 PM5/10/13
to pagekite...@googlegroups.com
This is excellent news! I will try installing Fedora this weekend and
give this a try. :-)

- Bjarni

Lukáš Zapletal

Sep 4, 2013, 3:18:17 PM9/4/13
to pagekite...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

how was it?

Today I bumped the version - the build is here: http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=461809

I have positive feedback on the pagekite-0.5.5a-5.fc20 version, now I am in doubt which version to choose to release for F19 and EPEL.

The thing is that once a package is released in EPEL, we should not upgrade it - only security fixes backports. RHEL is stable platform.

So I am wondering what is your recommendation? I mean which version will have longer support? Or which one is considered the most stable?

Thans.