Bear River to Brooklyn (Or Shelburne)

Jeff MacDonnell

Mar 14, 2022, 7:19:08 PM3/14/22
to paddle.novascotia
Hello Fellow Paddlers!

I'm planning a trip next month, and I'm looking to see if I can find a fourth paddler to round out our group. We have three paddlers and two canoes, and are planning to set out from Lake Joli in Digby County and head through the Tobeatic to the Mersey and finish in Brooklyn. We may alternatively come down the Roseway into Shelburne, but are just working out logistics on that. I'm thinking the trip will take 7-10 days and we plan to start on Good Friday, April 15. I'd like to find one more willing paddler to join us in the adventure, but I don't want to expand the group any further to allow us to travel at a reasonable pace. If anyone would be interested in joining us, please respond directly to the thread! I think it'll be a blast.

Thanks!
Jeff

Alain B

Mar 16, 2022, 12:50:24 PM3/16/22
to paddle.novascotia
Sounds like a great trip. I'll let you know if I hear of anyone looking to get out then.

For routes, I'd suggest avoiding the lower Mersey since it is all dammed up. The Medway, Jordan, and Roseway are all great options and easily accessible from the Shelburne River which I assumed you will paddle down a bit. For white water, the Medway and Roseway take the cake, but for wild-ness, the Jordan is a decent option since it has very few cabins or access points all the way down to Jordan Falls on Highway 103. It has one major section of white water but it is otherwise relatively calm compared to the other two rivers. Another further option is the Clyde, which you would access from the Roseway.

You already probably found this site, but just in case not: https://www.tobeaticsanctuary.ca/. Check out the map if you haven't already.

We will soon post downloadable files so paddlers/hikers can have this data on their GPS/phones.

Cheers,
Alain

Jeff MacDonnell

Mar 16, 2022, 7:04:41 PM3/16/22
to paddle.novascotia
Hi Alain,

Thanks for the reply and the tips! I know the Mersey is dammed, but those dams would be pretty easily portaged, no? I agree that the other sections may be nicer, but it will also increase the logistic challenge of moving vehicles around!

Cheers,
Jeff

Alain B

Mar 22, 2022, 8:57:13 AM3/22/22
to paddle.novascotia
I've only checked one of the dams and it didn't look as friendly as I'd expected re:portage, but I may have been looking in the wrong place. As you say too, this river isn't as nice because it's dammed and that's mostly where I was coming from. I find these places fairly grim because of the loss they represent, but they are indeed navigable.

Davis Bennett

Mar 22, 2022, 10:39:14 AM3/22/22
to a.g.be...@gmail.com, paddle.novascotia
I've canoed the Mersey 3 times and I recall that there were some places where the put-in was a tad challenging but nothing that was undoable by any stretch.

--Davis

Jeff MacDonnell

Mar 23, 2022, 10:01:57 AM3/23/22
to Davis Bennett, Alain Belliveau, paddle.novascotia
Thanks all! Cool video.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "paddle.novascotia" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/paddlenovascotia/CAGzk52dFUEMV9C-My2RO4wbaKXuBE44Dd6hqSfkrC-LWNOJrOQ%40mail.gmail.com.