Roseway River

Noah Booth

Apr 9, 2024, 11:00:12 AMApr 9
to PaddleNovaScotia
I spent the last 4 days canoeing from Merrymakedge Beach to Indian Fields via the Roseway River. The route is approximately 68 km, 31 portages (~10 km) and crosses the Maritimes largest protected wilderness, the Tobeatic!

Water levels were high, huckleberry was thick. It was a fantastic trip.  The route gives you everything the Nova Scotia wilderness has to offer, other than trout. I attached marked up maps, as well as some highlights below. I will be posting a video in the coming weeks.

Notable Features:
  • Sisketch and House Lake - My favourite lakes of the route which were littered in house size erratics.
  • Skudiak to Moose - Sweeper across the entire river after blind turn. Do not run. Portage river left through open forest.
  • Upset Falls - Sweeper across the shoot. Do not run. Track and drag on river right through side channels, or portage (50 m).
  • Mountain Falls to Devil's Island was a blur of scouting, running, lining and portaging. Mountain Falls is a runnable CIII with a rowdy wave train that takes you down river to a sharp right. It took some lining on river left to bypass a few obstructions up river of the falls. Take your time. You can also bypass the falls by portaging river left through (relatively) open forest. The following couple kms had three features worth scouting... Two CIIIs followed by a blind CII.
Cheers,
Noah
Roseway River Route_April24.pdf

Dusan Soudek

Apr 9, 2024, 1:15:56 PMApr 9
to paddleno...@googlegroups.com

Thanks, Noah, for a wonderful and highly inspiring report! It looks like the Roseway River route portages will be getting some TLC from members of the CKNS Portage Committee this year...

Dusan Soudek

Dan Hutt

Apr 9, 2024, 2:21:38 PMApr 9
to noahc...@gmail.com, PaddleNovaScotia
Fantastic report, Noah. Much appreciated! I hope the journey will be another excellent episode of Northern Scavenger!

- Dan

Mike Arthur

Apr 9, 2024, 5:22:32 PMApr 9
to paddle.novascotia
Nice to see this route still being used. A friend and I have done the exact same route with a 15.5 ft kevlar prospector canoe. Every April for 6 - 8 years to get high water and avoid bugs. We did it in both directions. Lots of portaging in there but worth it for the wild.  Can’t wait to see the video.

For some reason the PDF won’t open on my MacBook Air but does on my iPhone.    Mike

David Millar

Apr 10, 2024, 2:22:29 PMApr 10
to paddle.novascotia
Thanks for the excellent report, Noah. At about the same time you were on the Roseway, a group of us ran the lower part of the Jordan, from Lake John to Jordan Falls. The level was excellent and it was pretty much all runnable. There were a few sweepers here and there between Lake John and Big Falls, but mostly in areas where they were fairly easy to avoid.

Big Falls was really pumping. We walked around the first couple of ledges, which were creating large hydraulics that would pretty much swallow a canoe. Below that was a beautiful long stretch of class II/III whitewater with some sizeable standing waves that was a lot of fun. There were plenty of other sections of class II along the way and sections that would usually be rocky were easily paddleable.

David