Big Hubley Lake to Shad Bay (via Big 5 Bridge Lake + 9 Mile River)

Tristan Glen

Jun 1, 2022, 9:46:40 AM6/1/22
to paddle.novascotia
Hi Paddlers,

I just spend the weekend paddling this route

Hubley Big Lake to Shad Bay
May 28-29, 2022. (20 kms, 3 Portages, 2300 metres of portaging, 2000 metres of lining)
Hubley Big Lake to Shad Bay via Big Five Bridge Lake + Nine Mile River

The portages from Big Hubley Lake to Big Five Bridge Lake are in excellent condition!  Sounds like these were worked on two years ago, and they are still fabulous; that bridge over the stream just north of Big Five Bridge Lake was a nice touch.

From Five Bridge Lake to Moores Lake we were able to run the stream (Foxes Cross), and also run some of the stream into the Twiddling Lakes. The rest of the stream was much too shallow to run, and was pretty choked up with fallen trees.  We lined and dragged our way down. At one point, the canoe had to be dragged over our heads to get over a huge mass of fallen trees.  It was a long grind to Shad Bay Lake.  There appears to be a portage the whole way on river right.

From Shad Bay Lake down to Shad Bay we were able to run 9 Mile River thanks to Saturday's rain. There are a few exciting Rapids (Class II+) with a giant fallen maple tree about halfway down that was there when I paddled through in 2020.

We hopped on our bike in Shad Bay and cycled the 38 kms back to Hubleys Big Lake to retrieve our car.

A great trip, so close to the city.

IMG_5429.jpgIMG_5409.jpegIMG_5403.jpeg

Dusan Soudek

Jun 1, 2022, 12:11:57 PM6/1/22
to paddle.novascotia
Tristan,
   good to read that the route is still passable. Haven’t been there  a few years. yes, the carry between Shad Bay Lake is on river right, but switches to river left below the Camp Pool stillwater. Every year there are trees down on the carries below Shad Bay Lake? How were things this time?
   Dusan Soudek
IMG_5429.jpg
IMG_5409.jpeg
IMG_5403.jpeg

Davis Bennett

Jun 1, 2022, 1:22:03 PM6/1/22
to Tristan Glen, paddle.novascotia
Thanks for posting Tristan -- I've been eying this for decades and wondering what the conditions were like. Just out of interest, how long did it take to paddle from beginning to end?

--Davis

David Ripley

Jun 1, 2022, 2:55:43 PM6/1/22
to Dusan Soudek, paddle.novascotia
Dusan,
I remember cutting a portage up twiddling brook from 9 mile with you..it looks like it didn't survive.
Tristan, you have my admiration..I've done the trip , and could not have dreamed of cycling 38 Km afterwards.

Dusan Soudek

Jun 1, 2022, 3:12:31 PM6/1/22
to paddle.novascotia
David,
   not sure about the Twiddling Brook Portage.. It’s possible that Tristan and his associate simply didn’t find it. Or chose to line/drag instead... Tristan is one tough hombre...
Dusan Soudek