Shoulder/Off Season

Johnny Stakes

Mar 25, 2023, 8:29:18 AM3/25/23
to paddle.novascotia
We have finally come to that time of year where the lakes are shedding their ice cover.  For some it is the sign of an approaching canoe season.  For me, as a four season paddler, it is a sign of new canoe opportunities and portage maintenance outings.

I find my canoe outings ebb and flow through the year, and from year to year.

I have been fortunate to be able to get out for paddles in the cooler months (shoulder season).  Although at times the outings are limited by weather and the availability of local ice free locations, the cooler months can provide some great canoeing opportunities and beautiful scenes.

So far this year, my outings have been limited.  But each outing was rewarding.

This past week I made it out to the beach on Hearn Island.   For me, this early Spring or late Winter outing has become a symbol. It is at this point I can look forward to many more great outings.

--
"I have always been regretting that I was not as wise as the day I was born"