River John River Report

gu...@ns.sympatico.ca

May 24, 2020, 9:50:05 PM5/24/20
to Nova Scotia Paddle List

Hello Paddle List,

I took a trip down the River John River and thought I post/share some info as I don’t recall ever hearing people talk too much about paddling it.

Put In: Minto Road Bridge

Take Out: Welsford Bridge

Distance: 19 km

Time: 7.0 hrs including lunch

I preferred the upper section between Minto Road Bridge and the confluence of the two branches of the River. Interestingly I found it more navigable than the lower part even though the lower part had the combined flow of two branches. The lower part of the river is very wide and shallow. Very windy day too, mostly head wind, which made picking your route on the lower wider river that more challenging and probably influenced how long it too me to complete the trip.

My lovely and kind wife shuttled me so I don’t know the true shuttle time but I would suspect it would be about an hour total.

Lots of birds, interestingly shore birds, eagles, lots of fish jumping and a very healthy fox bobbing along the shoreline. He went up a very steep and tall bank in a flash once he saw me. Alas too quick to get a good photo.

Put in at Minto Road

The river varied in width and every so often there would be a narrower s trun. Most of them were navagable even at this water level.

There were a few ledges that I had to step over.

Some complete with a beaver dam

Looking upstream to the conflunce. West branch on the left and the East branch on the right

High banks downstream of the confluence. Lots of bank swallows!

Much to my disappointment the going got worse downstream of the confluence. The river was wide and shallow. I had to walk the canoe a couple times about 100 m to get through a rock/gravel section. Lots of river wide ledges too. It would be much better at a higher level. So this river may be strictly spring run when its been reasonably rainy.

Cool cliff near Welsford

More of the cliff

Cheers

Ian

image011.jpg
image012.jpg
image013.jpg
image014.jpg
image015.jpg
image017.jpg
image019.jpg
image021.jpg
image023.jpg

David

May 24, 2020, 10:08:50 PM5/24/20
to Nova Scotia Paddle List, gu...@ns.sympatico.ca
Looks like a great trip!  Thanks for sharing, Ian!

- David

May 25, 2020, 7:01:16 AM5/25/20
to dmc...@hotmail.com, Nova Scotia Paddle List, gu...@ns.sympatico.ca
Thank you for this interesting report and set of photos Ian.

When did you do this trip?

John

Sent from my iPhone

On May 24, 2020, at 11:08 PM, David <dmc...@hotmail.com> wrote:

** EXTERNAL EMAIL / COURRIEL EXTERNE **
Exercise caution when opening attachments or clicking on links / Faites preuve de prudence si vous ouvrez une pi�ce jointe ou cliquez sur un lien

[...]

<image011.jpg>

The river varied in width and every so often there would be a narrower s trun. Most of them were navagable even at this water level.

<image012.jpg>

There were a few ledges that I had to step over.

<image013.jpg>

Some complete with a beaver dam

<image014.jpg>

Looking upstream to the conflunce. West branch on the left and the East branch on the right

<image015.jpg>

High banks downstream of the confluence. Lots of bank swallows!

<image017.jpg>

Much to my disappointment the going got worse downstream of the confluence. The river was wide and shallow. I had to walk the canoe a couple times about 100 m to get through a rock/gravel section. Lots of river wide ledges too. It would be much better at a higher level. So this river may be strictly spring run when its been reasonably rainy.

<image019.jpg>

Cool cliff near Welsford

<image021.jpg>

More of the cliff

<image023.jpg>

Cheers

Ian

Dusan Soudek

May 25, 2020, 9:39:28 AM5/25/20
to Nova Scotia Paddle List
Ian,
   a very nice river! But a bit of a spring run. I would wait for the next tropical storm to hit Nova Scotia before I’d run it. Thanks for the very interesting and thorough report!
Dusan

Sent: Sunday, May 24, 2020 10:49 PM

Hello Paddle List,

--