Martins River

Dave Greene

Nov 9, 2020, 10:18:36 PM11/9/20
to paddle.novascotia
Was out this past Sunday with Noah.  We paddled the 12ish km from Spondo Lake down to tidewater.  Took us 7 hours to get down.  There were easy access and parking on both ends of our route.

The first few km were a bit of a grind with more then a few log jams and wood in the river requiring a lot of hauling the boats through. However, once we got to the series of 5 stillwaters things started to improve.  The Tamaracks were in full yellow and we enjoyed some nice scenery.

Below the stillwaters there were a  series of steeper drops and ledges, one of which was 3-4 feet high. It was super technical tiny creek boating but for the most part it worked. We enjoyed quite a few fun runs.

Where the river widens and braids into channels it was fun to take separate20201107_151326.jpg20201108_184904.jpg paths to see who would come out the other end first.

We noticed the large number of Bridges of all shapes and sizes crossing the river.  Once down past the stillwaters the river was free flowing with no obstructions.  It was pretty fun to paddle a river again.

With another 6- 12 inches of water this would be a pretty wild run in places.  I would do it again but perhaps from further down.

Has anybody paddled it?

Dave