Clyde River

Dave Greene

Apr 1, 2024, 10:00:26 PMApr 1
to paddle.novascotia
Had a great run down the Clyde river this past weekend from Clamshell Lake down to the Hwy 3 bridge.

The access road into Clamshell lake was a bit rough for our car but it was only a short portage in, across from Indian Fields. From there the portages were all exactly where you'd imagine them to be. All portages along the route were marked with a white square blaze. Trails seemed to be in pretty good order too.

The stream connecting Black lake with Russia lake was navigable with lots of wood in the way but all other runs through Auger, Long, and Barclay lakes presented to us problems at all.  Actually we only portaged twice on the whole route, at Martins falls and Cubb Scutch. Martins falls had a big hole as your second move followed closly by a third big hole.  The end of the run had a nasty piece of wood in the water outweighing the reward of a successful run so we portaged.  Cubb Scutch was the same, the line was there but a lot of wood in the bottom bits made an easy decision.

The Lower Clyde below Quinns falls was a surprise to us! Fun class 2 all the way down to our takeout!  Not a rock to be seen in these levels or dry flat ground.  We made the best of it and had pretty decent campsites.

Great run.  3 days, 2 nights. Solid team.  Was interesting to paddle through last years forest fire. We are now keen to check out some of the other local runs down there! Tidney, Sable, Broad, Roseway, Tusket....

Dave Greene