Re: Re: [PaddleNS] Dish Lake Loop via Lake Joli (Tobeatic)

jan.za...@gmx.de

Jul 28, 2022, 11:26:41 AM7/28/22
to a.g.be...@gmail.com, shera...@gmail.com, glen.t...@gmail.com, paddle.novascotia
Thanks so much Darlene and Alain, I’d love to hear some more about the history of that area some time!

Jan

Sent using the mobile mail app

From: "Darlene Ricker" <shera...@gmail.com>
Date: 7. July 2022
To: jan.za...@gmx.de
Cc: "paddle.novascotia" <paddleno...@googlegroups.com>,
glen.t...@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [PaddleNS] Dish Lake Loop via Lake Joli (Tobeatic)
Yes, in days gone by the trail between Whitesands Stream and Dish Lake was used a lot by  a few local Bear River folks who hunted in that area since late 1940’s, and who had been  originally guided there by the local Mi’kmaq.
Through the 1990’s and early 2000’s, I  was lucky enough to have travelled that area frequently, and always enjoyed that particular trail. Something very special about the landscape.  The area used to be much more open with mostly barrens, even 30 years ago. Over the years I  watched a few small bushes and trees on the barrens grow into dense woods. Many of the pine trees near Whitesands Stream were planted. I’m not sure if that was done by Natural Resources, or others. Directly across  the stream from where the trail ends, there used to be a leased cabin, which was built in the 1950’s ... fond memories of  many trips there. The cabin  and lease were reclaimed by the Province in the early 2000’s, along with several other cabin leases in the Tobeatic  held by individuals. About 2009, the Dept. of Natural Resources sent in a crew, and burned down the cabin. Probably not much evidence remaining, as we had to clear everything out of the cabin when the lease was given up.
Darlene Ricker

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 7, 2022, at 9:43 PM, jan.za...@gmx.de wrote:

What a great trip it was Tristan:)!!! Does anyone know the history of the trail that connects the Stillwater north of Dish Lake and Whitesand Stream? It looks like it has been "well" used at some point in time and you can tell that someone has put some thought into the alignment of the trail. Could it have been used by the wardens?

Jan

From: "jonathan riley" <jon.a...@gmail.com>
Date: 7. July 2022
To: "Tristan Glen" <glen.t...@gmail.com>
Cc: "paddle.novascotia" <paddleno...@googlegroups.com>
I believe the Belliveau’s were through the Dish Lake carries this spring and did a lot of work on them - or you’d have really found them rough ;)

Jonathan Riley

Trail and Open Spaces Coordinator

Municipality of the District of Digby

Phone: 902-245-2861