a neat cabin on upper Nine Mile River (Coxs Lake - Frasers Lake)

Dusan Soudek

May 7, 2022, 11:37:44 AM5/7/22
to PaddleNovaScotia
Yesterday my partner and I canoed the neat section of Nine Mile River (the one in HRM, not Hants), from Yankeetown to Timberlea. The water was at mid-summer level so we had to portage every single one of the small rapids along the way, most of which are navigable at higher flows. Much of the route is within  or borders on the suburban Blue Mountain – Birch Cove Lakes Wilderness Area, a part of a proposed future urban national park.

The highlight of the outing was our first visit to a neat little cabin, just downstream of the outlet of Long Lake. It’s located a bit inland, so you cannot see it from the water. It is on a property recently acquired by the N. S. Nature Trust, which plans to demolish it, in spite of the fact that the structure is in great shape. It just needs a little clean-up of the property. Not a happy situation, which I’ll try to correct.

BTW,the portages and the campsites along the way are in reasonably good shape, even though some need a little brushing out and other work.

Dusan Soudek
Derek Banks cabin 1.jpg
Derek Banks Cabin 2.jpg
Derek Banks cabin 3.jpg

Bernie and Wendy Levy

May 7, 2022, 4:35:36 PM5/7/22
to Dusan Soudek, PaddleNovaScotia
Looks like a beauty Dusan. Hope you can convince them to stop the demolition.

Aim high, time flies!
Bernie

ejo...@eastlink.ca

May 7, 2022, 9:41:30 PM5/7/22
to sou...@ns.sympatico.ca, PaddleNovaScotia

Sure hope you can thwart demolition of that cabin, Dusan.  That be shame.  Structures like these lend such character to the lands; the story, human element which is good.  There also some argument to not restoring just let it go to dust.  My thoughts…Eric