Admiral Lake Loop

Tristan Glen

Jun 29, 2022, 8:38:55 PM6/29/22
to paddle.novascotia
Hello paddlers,

On the weekend of June 18 - 19, Jan and I revisited one of our favourite flatwater routes.

22 Portages, 31 km, 5000 metres portaged

Route: Eel Pond - Squints Lake - Otter Lake - Admiral Lake - Bakers Brook - North West Lake - Hard Scrabble Lake - Scrabble Lake - Red Lake - Spider Lake - Piney Lake - Rocky Lake - Officers Camp Lake - Wildcat Lake - Admiral Lake - Salmon River lake - Little Eel Pond - Eel Pond.

The portages are now all in good condition, and the swampy section just south of Red Lake had enough water to pole through.  We discovered an incredible campsite on an island in the centre of Spider Lake; a tall flat rock with views of the lake in 3 directions (great for sunrise and sunset viewing) with a tent site just a few metres away through the woods.

We scouted the portage to McCaffrey Long Lake which is in good condition, and also explored part of the stillwater leading to Brooks Lake.

Tristan
95940C39-9912-4DA0-9A88-007C6EE88741.JPG

Bernie and Wendy Levy

Jun 29, 2022, 8:51:28 PM6/29/22
to glen.t...@gmail.com, paddle.novascotia
All that in two days, very impressive. Thanks for the report.

ejo...@eastlink.ca

Jun 29, 2022, 9:43:32 PM6/29/22
to paddl...@gmail.com, glen.t...@gmail.com, paddle.novascotia

Yes, I do agree.  A lot of flat water in no time at all.

More pics please J…Eric

Dusan Soudek

Jun 30, 2022, 9:38:39 AM6/30/22
to paddle.novascotia
Hi Tristan,
   thanks for a very accurate report. I had to get Sheet 11D/14 (Musquodoboit Harbour) of the 1 : 50 000 topo map out to accurately follow your course. I hope you took lots of waypoints and tracks for a future paddling map of the White Lake Wilderness Area and environs. It is a maze of highly scenic lakes!
   The Spider Lake island campsite sounds like a real gem! Does it look like it gets much use? I had no idea it existed. Are the large trees still down on the lower half of the Admiral Lake – Salmon River Lake carry? Or did someone remove them?  Regards and thanks again,
  Dusan Soudek