Killag River/ West Sheet Harbour River

Dave Greene

May 8, 2023, 8:16:59 PM5/8/23
to paddle.novascotia
After years of looking at it on the map, I final got out and paddled the Killag river in real life and let me tell you it was a treat!

This river is like the Meander, the Wildcat and the Upper Upper Gaspereau mixed together.  A classic salmon river, there are few if any typical pools along its 15km length. There was one section near the top that should be scouted in reasonable water levels but all is paddleable with caution. Many strainers and log jams along the way, but no major concern. It appears Fiona left it largely untouched.

The Killag itself runs for about 15km before running through a large stillwater/ bog section perhaps 4-5 km in length before its final descent into the West Branch Sheet Harbour River at Lower Basin Pond.  The final 8km is a magnificent piece of water that should be experienced by all.

All told we paddled 28km and our shuttle was only 18km!

The camping was plentiful. WW constant swifts. Wildlife plenty and had a real remote feel to it.

The Salmon association has done major work on this river since 2005ish restoring the ph of the water through Lime dosers, and have created river features along its length for fish passage.

The Salmon association has water gauges in the Lime Dosers and access to this information can be provided upon request.  I wonder if there is a possible future partnership here between the Salmon Association and CKNS?

No doubt I will be going back when water levels allow.
20230507_164343-1.jpg

Dave Greene

May 8, 2023, 8:17:39 PM5/8/23
to paddle.novascotia
20230506_190619.jpg
20230506_114925.jpg

Dan Hutt

May 8, 2023, 8:39:03 PM5/8/23
to greenera...@gmail.com, paddle.novascotia
Thanks for this great report, Dave. I live on the Eastern Shore and I'm going to check this one out!