Milford Lakes put in options

Stephen Punshon

Aug 11, 2023, 10:07:07 AM8/11/23
to paddle.novascotia
Greetings fellow paddlers,

I'm contemplating a two or three day midweek paddle around the Milford Lakes (Fisher, 11 mile, Rocky, Allison, Elder).  Does anyone know the condition of the Thomas Lake gravel road to Lynch Mill Lake, has it been washed out by the recent flooding? Otherwise there is the dirt road from Hwy 8 to the cottages on Eleven Mile Lake but I remember parking being limited.  Any other good options to safely leave a vehicle for a couple of nights?

Thanks
Steve

jonathan riley

Aug 11, 2023, 8:49:03 PM8/11/23
to spun...@dal.ca, paddle.novascotia
The parking on 11mile is upgraded and best option.
Haven’t been to lynch mill in more than a year. Always a truck or good clearance is best there.

Jonathan Riley

Trail and Open Spaces Coordinator

Municipality of the District of Digby

Phone: 902-245-2861

Stephen Punshon

Aug 19, 2023, 10:26:46 AM8/19/23
to paddle.novascotia
put in at Eleven Mile lake, no other vehicles there, and had a pleasant paddle around the above mentioned lakes over Wednesday and Thursday camping at the north end of Allison Lake above the little beach. The portages from there to Elder Lake were in great condition and the creek into Elder was quite easy to travel with perhaps slightly higher than usual water levels.  I took the Elder Brook to Fisher Lake and found it to be good going with just four or five lifts over beaver dams and rocks,  much preferable to the long portage.
P8160052.JPG

Stephen Punshon

Aug 19, 2023, 10:29:18 AM8/19/23
to paddle.novascotia
Elder Brook
P8170057.JPG
P8170059.JPG

hale...@hotmail.com

Aug 19, 2023, 2:20:36 PM8/19/23
to spun...@dal.ca, paddle.novascotia
Sounds like you ended up with a great route. Isn't that campsite on the long esker at Allison Lake lovely? We camped there last November when we were cleaning up several of the portages (some major windfalls). And I'm glad the water in Elder Brook was high enough for you to do it with just a few haulovers.

Thanks for the trip report!

Heather Leslie