Newbie - .pac template files?

synwave7

Apr 25, 2011, 1:05:14 PM4/25/11
to pactester
Is anyone using this discussion group anymore? I am new to .pac files
and could use some advice and help? Does anyone have .pac files
already created they would be willing to share? My needs to be very,
very simple. All were trying to do is use the .pac file (for now) so
users can launch Internet Explorer through Citrix on a laptop at
different locations back to work.

Any help would be most appreciated,
Syn

ZZATU

Apr 25, 2011, 1:12:15 PM4/25/11
to pactester
synwave7,

Can you explain more in depth what you are attempting to do, Pac files
are generally used for proxies (web-filtering) not understanding what
you are trying to do exactly. The main use of pactester is once you
build a pac file to be able to test it.
This site is pretty good for examples and explanations
http://www.findproxyforurl.com/pac_file_examples.html

FrizwareDaddy

Apr 26, 2011, 10:57:54 PM4/26/11
to pactester
I found this at http://www.pcs-computing.com/support/pac_file_example.html:

function FindProxyForURL(url, host)
{
/* SPECIAL CASES FOR NON-BALANCED ROUTING */

// Direct connections to non-FQDN hosts
if (isPlainHostName(host) ||
(host == "127.0.0.1") ||
(host == "www.pcs-computing.com") ||
(host == "pcs-computing.com") ||
(shExpMatch(host, "*.pcs-intranet.com")) ||
(shExpMatch(host, "90.0.0.*")) ||
(shExpMatch(host, "10.*"))) {
return "DIRECT"
} else {
return "PROXY pcsproxy.pcs-computing.com:8080"
}
}

What does it all mean?
This reads as:

If the request is for a non FQDN (hostname only) or localhost or
www.pcs-computing.com or pcs-computing.com or <anything>.pcs-
intranet.com or is a host in the network 90.0.0.1 - 90.0.0.255 or is a
host in the network 10.0.0.1 - 10.255.255.255 then go DIRECT else go
via the proxy using port 8080

Hope that helps.

FrizwareDaddy

Apr 26, 2011, 10:59:34 PM4/26/11