Re: pacparser

Manu Garg

Aug 8, 2012, 10:46:57 PM8/8/12
to Ryan, pacp...@googlegroups.com
+pacparser

On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 1:53 AM, Ryan <iam...@gmail.com> wrote:
Figured it out.

Do you think that your tool is at all reliable for measuring PAC file performance?

It uses the same mechanism as a browser. The performance should also be pretty close to what browser will see.

Ryan Peck
BS Information Security and Forensics, November 2012
Rochester Institute of Technology
iam...@gmail.com | (973) 531-7325

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 10:06 AM, Ryan <iam...@gmail.com> wrote:
I was curious, I notice a huge speed difference when using the Python module verses the Windows exe "Pactester".

If I have a lot of tests to run (over 300 client IP Addresses against over 400 URLs) should I write the tests in C or have a Python wrapper to use os.system() and run the pactester.exe?

Writing a python script to do multiple tests for the same file should be faster than forking pactester.exe for each test.

Thanks!
Ryan Peck
BS Information Security and Forensics, November 2012
Rochester Institute of Technology
iam...@gmail.com | (973) 531-7325

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 10:03 AM, Manu Garg <manu...@gmail.com> wrote:
Yes, I do.

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 7:22 PM, Ryan <iam...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi -

Do you still maintain pacparser?

--
Manu Garg
http://www.manugarg.com

--
Manu Garg
http://www.manugarg.com
"Journey is the destination of life."

Ryan

Aug 9, 2012, 12:08:42 PM8/9/12
to Manu Garg, pacp...@googlegroups.com
This is all running on a Windows XP SP3 System.

This is what I currently have using the Python 2.7 module (after the 2 PAC files have been imported and initialized. -

for client in client_list:
    for url in url_list:
        start_time = clock()
        result_orig = orig_pac.find_proxy(url)
        end_time = clock()

        orig_time = end_time - start_time
        orig_total_time += orig_time

        start_time = clock()
        result_new = new_pac.find_proxy(url)
        end_time = clock()

        new_time = end_time - start_time
        new_total_time += new_time

In Python 3.2.2

for client in client_list:

    start_time = time.clock()
    result_new = subprocess.check_output(["pactester.exe", "-p",
                            args.orig_file, "-c", client, "-f", args.url_file],
                            universal_newlines=True).strip()
    end_time = time.clock()

    orig_time = end_time - start_time
    print("Orig", orig_time)

    start_time = time.clock()
    result_old = subprocess.check_output(["pactester.exe", "-p",
                            args.new_file, "-c", client, "-f", args.url_file],
                            universal_newlines=True).strip()
    end_time = time.clock()
    orig_time = end_time - start_time
    print("NEW", orig_time)

With the same Data input, the top script takes around between 2 and 4 seconds total for each pacfile. The bottom script, the one that calls the exe always takes under half a second to run.

Trying to identify the discrepancy. Your help is much appreciated! This tool has already been very helpful for figuring out the differences between PAC Files, catching errors. Now the goal is figuring out what tweaks we can make to speed things up.

Thanks - Ryan