The PERKINS SCHOOL OF PIANO TUNING AND TECHNOLOGY, established by ROBERT K. PERKINS in 1962, was a vocational school approved by the Ohio Department of Education and later by many state Vocational Rehabilitation departments. The U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service approved the school as well, allowing foreign students to enroll.
PETERS, RICHARD DORLAND (29 May 1910-27 Oct. 1984) spent a major part of his journalistic career with the Scripps-Howard organization in his hometown of Cleveland. The son of Dr. Harry A. Peters, longtime headmaster of UNIVERSITY SCHOOL, "Dick" Peters graduated from Yale in 1932 and broke into journalism with the Washington Daily News.
PRIVATE SCHOOLS. The public-school movement in the U.S. did not really begin until the 1830s and 1840s. Consequently, schools established in the early 19th century were, of necessity, private schools. The line between public and private, however, was not as rigid as it is today. The people believed that education benefited the community at large and that the costs should be borne by all.
RICHARDSON, LYON NORMAN (20 July 1898-16 Aug. 1980) found time to run the university libraries while serving as a distinguished professor of American literature at CASE WESTERN RESERVE UNIV. Born in Andover, O., he returned following his graduation from Western Reserve Univ.
RICKOFF, ANDREW JACKSON (23 Aug. 1824-29 March 1899) reorganized the CLEVELAND PUBLIC SCHOOLS as superintendent during the formative period following the CIVIL WAR. Born in New Hope, N.J., he graduated from Woodward College in Cincinnati and later received a master's degree from Ohio Univ.
SHERA, JESSE HAUK (8 Dec. 1903-8 Mar. 1982), internationally respected librarian and library educator and dean of the School of Library Science at Western Reserve University (subsequently CASE WESTERN RESERVE UNIVERSITY), was born in Oxford, Ohio, the son of Charles H. and Jessie (Hauk) Shera. He received an A.B.
SPAULDING, FRANK ELLSWORTH (30 Nov. 1866-6 June 1960), an educator of national stature, left an indelible imprint on the CLEVELAND PUBLIC SCHOOLS despite a relatively brief tenure as superintendent. The son of William and Abby Stearns Spaulding, he was a native of Dublin, N.H.
ST. MARTIN DE PORRES HIGH SCHOOL, 6202 St. Clair Ave., opened with 105 students in 2004 in the former St. Vitus Elementary School. The high school is named for the patron saint of mixed-race and working people, born in Peru in 1679 and canonized in 1962.
STEWART, JOHN HALL (20 April 1904-31 Oct. 1991) occupied the Henry E. Bourne chair of history at CASE WESTERN RESERVE UNIV. as an authority on the era of the French Revolution. Born near Springfield in Ontario, Canada, he earned his bachelor's degree from the Univ. of Ontario and advanced degrees at Cornell. Joining the history dept.
TEACHER EDUCATION. The history of teacher education in Cleveland reflects earlier national and state movements to begin normal schools, needed because of the establishment of the common school during the first half of the 19th century (1789-1860). Previously there was little or no interest in or need for teacher education. Teacher education in Cleveland can be traced to the 1830s.
Shigeuki Edward Yoshida was born May 16, 1908 in Victoria, B.C (d. 2004). As a child he grew up in Chemainus, B.C. and became very interested in the Boy Scouts of America. He became a Lone Scout and quickly climbed the ranks. In 1925 he began the first Japanese Canadian troupe, unique to Canada and the British Empire at the time. He went on to work as a truck driver and insurance agent for Victoria Lumber & Manufacturer Co. in Chemainus, B.C. Edward Shige married Sumiko Yoshida (nee Takahashi), who was born March 16, 1915 in Canada (d. 2013). They would have four children together.
In 1942, the family were forcibly uprooted from Chemainus and sent to Hasting Park, Vancouver, B.C. From there they went to Tashme, B.C. Edward Shige Yoshida has been remembered for his time during Japanese Canadian internment and his forming of the first Boy Scouts group in Tashme, B.C. The popularity and success of this group, led to Yoshida aiding the formation of the Girl Guides group at Tashme as well. The Scouts group at its peak included about 200 boys and was well recognized within the Scouting community. In 1946, the Yoshida family moved east, eventually settling in Ontario.
The van der Smissens were Germans of Netherlandish origins. One of the family, Henry van der Smisson, emigrated to Canada in 1833. His Toronto-born son, William Henry van der Smisson, was a professor of German at the University of Toronto beginning in 1892, and at the time was regarded as the chief authority of German in Ontario. He also filled the positions of Registrar and Librarian for seventeen years at the university.
Despite the overwhelming vote of the members of the Commission, Pope Paul refused to alter the Vatican's stance on birth control citing that to do so would fundamentally undermine papal infallibility and, in 1968, wrote the ''Humanae Vitae'' encyclical which emphasized the continuation of the Vatican's opposition to contraception.
William John Miller (1889-1960) was a Toronto architect active from 1908 until some time after WWII. Son of the prominent architect George Martell Miller (1854-1933), William John Miller trained under his father and was a registered member of the Ontario Association of Architects from 1935 onwards. William assisted his father's firm with several notable commercial and residential projects in and around the city of Toronto, and would eventually take over his father's firm. Architectural plans for buildings completed by the Millers are held in the Thomas Fisher Rare Book Library's Miller collection (Manuscript Collection 194).
William Miller married Ruby Adelaide Scott (died 1973). The couple lived for several years at 105 Rochester Avenue in Toronto and had a daughter, Joanne Martell Miller. The family frequented a summer cottage on Lake Simcoe, known as "Martell Villa." In 1949, Joanne married Robert Butt Dunlop, a Toronto area dentist, to become Joanne Martell Miller Dunlop (also known as Mrs. R.B. Dunlop). She died August 5, 1980.
The Milne family was a Scottish family that settled in Ontario following the initial emigration of Peter Milne to New York in 1797. His brothers David, William and Alexander as well as their mother Helen joined him in New York. Alexander emigrated to Canada in 1817 and started a woolen mill and saw mill in Markham. Alexander and Peter Milne became partners in the operation of the mills in Markham ca. 1824. In 1827, Peter married and the brothers dissolved their partnership. Alexander moved to North York and established a mill at Don Mills and Lawrence (the site of Edwards' Gardens). He acquired the property along Lawrence from this site over to what is now Woodbine, where he moved his milling operations in 1832. Alexander operated it with his son William into the 1860s.
After Alexander's death, William Milne continued to operate the mill with his son Alexander W. Milne. In 1878, a new mill was erected after bad floods had damaged the previous one. After William Milne's death in 1880, Alexander W. Milne took over the operation of the mills. Either he or his son, Charles S. Milne, closed the mills in the early 1900s.
Charles S. Milne (b. 1877) married Edna Shepard Johnson in 1909. Edna (b. 1880) was the daughter of Abram S. Johnson and Saida A. Shepard, of North York.
Henry Tymperon was rector of Market Orton (Overton), Rutland. He married firstly Margaret Yonge, and secondly Margaret Mackworth. By his second wife, he had two daughters: Henrietta, who married John Mottram in 1718, and Mary, who married Henry Masters in 1724.
Alice and Frederick Clarkson had three children, Margaret Eleanor Clarkson (b. 8 May 1912), Frederick Curzon Clarkson (1914-1973?), and Cuthbert B. Clarkson (b. 1920). Margaret (Margot) Clarkson studied at Ovenden College, Barrie, before attending Trinity College in 1929. She graduated with a B.A in 1933. She never married and became a social worker based in New York City in the 1940s. Like her mother and grandmother, she travelled extensively in her youth during the 1930s.
Curzon Clarkson attended Lakefield Preparatory School as a child and entered Trinity College in September of 1933, where he stayed until May of 1934. In September 1934 he transferred to a vocational training school in Detroit, Michigan, most likely the General Motors Institute. Curzon married Mary Louise Porter with whom he had two children: Frederick (Rick) Clarkson (1944?-1998) and Pegi Clarkson (d. 2014). He settled in St. Catharines, Ontario, with his family.
By 1773 (or earlier) the Dalley family owned property at Rudge in Wiltshire, England. In the nineteenth century (and possibly before) they appear to have been operating a pottery works. In 1813/14 one member of the family at Rudge, William Dalley, held the rank of Captain in the local militia, and was called up for service at Salisbury and Gosport. In the 1830's members of the family (Frederick, later Edwin, and possibly others) emigrated to Canada. By 1846 Edwin Dalley
(c.1813-1884) had established a retail druggist's business in Hamilton, leasing premises on James St. North in a block developed by Sir Alan MacNab. In 1851 he gave up the retail drug business to become involved in wholesaling and in the manufacture of blacking, chemical manure, and other substances, setting up a factory on the outskirts of town. He became a leading business man of Hamilton and in 1857 was elected Councillor for St. Mary's Ward. His two sons, Edwin Adolphus and Frederick Fenner, were active in the business. In 1875 Frederick Fenner took over the business which he continued as F.F. Dalley & Co. In 1881 Edwin Adolphus returned from New York where he had lived in the 1870's and joined the business. In 1893 the business was incorporated as the F.F. Dalley Co. Ltd. and continued under that name until at least 1907. The company manufactured blacking, inks, shoe polish, flavouring extracts, patent medicines, dye stuffs, baking powder, and spices as well as being a wholesaler for oils, drug sundries etc.