Packer 1.7.2 can not find Linux 8.4 images using source "oracle-oci"

Svetlio Shushkov

Sep 29, 2021, 3:45:02 AM9/29/21
to Packer
Hello,

Since recently, I had to introduce changes to the packer code, so that it creates images from a base image, using the "base_image_filter" option.
This part of source "oracle-oci", and the code could potentially use two types of images, which are both in the same compartment. The code I use for finding both the images looks like this:
base_image_filter {
  compartment_id           = "ocid1.compartment.oc1..EXAMPLE"
  display_name_search      = "^img_oci_oel_8\\.4.*"
  operating_system         = "Oracle Linux"
  operating_system_version = "8.4"
}

The two base images at my disposal have the following names:
img_oci_oel_8.4_123456_1.11.22.3333
img_oci_oel_7.9_123456_1.11.22.3333

Now, when I try this with 7.9:
  display_name_search      = "^img_oci_oel_7\\.9.*"
  operating_system_version = "7.9"
packer manages to find the image and I can proceed.

However, if I try the first piece of code, it errors out with message:
==> oracle-oci.custom-db-dev-image: Using existing SSH private key
==> oracle-oci.custom-db-dev-image: Pausing after run of step 'StepKeyPair'. Press enter to continue.
==> oracle-oci.custom-db-dev-image: Creating instance...
==> oracle-oci.custom-db-dev-image: Problem creating instance: base_image_filter returned no images
==> oracle-oci.custom-db-dev-image: Problem creating instance: base_image_filter returned no images
==> oracle-oci.custom-db-dev-image: Step "stepCreateInstance" failed

I tried different combinations for operating_system_version and operating_system, and the only thing that really did work was if I change the regexp for display_name_search to "^img_oci_oel_8.*", but I lose the minor version part, so it doesn't really work for me, as I have to comply with specific minor versions (part of the name).

When I started an instance from the Linux 8 image, I get the following in the /etc/os-release:
NAME="Oracle Linux Server"
VERSION="8.4"
ID="ol"
ID_LIKE="fedora"
VARIANT="Server"
VARIANT_ID="server"
VERSION_ID="8.4"
PLATFORM_ID="platform:el8"
PRETTY_NAME="Oracle Linux Server 8.4"
ANSI_COLOR="0;31"
CPE_NAME="cpe:/o:oracle:linux:8:4:server"

ORACLE_BUGZILLA_PRODUCT="Oracle Linux 8"
ORACLE_BUGZILLA_PRODUCT_VERSION=8.4
ORACLE_SUPPORT_PRODUCT="Oracle Linux"
ORACLE_SUPPORT_PRODUCT_VERSION=8.4

With 7.9 I get the same, just that "8" is "7" and "4" is "9".

Please tell me if there's something wrong I am doing, or if there's some sort of a problem with Packer itself.

Packer version: 1.7.2
OCI version: 3.0.1

Thanks