Packer v1.9.0-alpha Released

Lucas Bajolet

Feb 16, 2023, 9:46:49 AM2/16/23
to Packer
Hello Packer Community,

The Packer team is excited to announce our first alpha release: Packer 1.9.0-alpha.

This alpha contains all the v1.8.6 changes, in addition to one breaking change regarding the integration with HCP Packer.

HCP Packer Fingerprints

Fingerprints are what Packer uses to track a build's status on HCP Packer. Historically they were computed from the Git SHA of the current HEAD in which your template is located if available, or through the HCP_PACKER_BUILD_FINGERPRINT environment variable. Otherwise, this would end-up erroring.
We are changing this behaviour with this release: now they are randomly generated ULIDs by default, removing the need to be in a Git repository for tracking your builds.

Because of this change in behaviour, we are aiming for this feature to land in 1.9.0, and we are actively looking for feedback on your part before we release it for everyone to use.

If you are an HCP Packer user, please consider using this version and test it on your builds, and if you encounter any problem with it, we opened a Github issue for you to send us your feedback on.

Download link

This alpha is available on our release website: https://releases.hashicorp.com/packer/1.9.0-alpha/.

As always, thank you for your continued support and contributions.

The Packer Team.