Upcoming PERS meeting - lots of updates.

PERS

Mar 1, 2015, 11:19:37 AM3/1/15
to pacific-estuarine...@googlegroups.com
PERSians,
   A few important notes today.   Registration deadline is 3/5/2015 to get the best price.

Abstracts are due by midnight 3/1/2015 but if you aren't quite ready please email us today that you will be submitting one but the deadline snuck up on you.  I expect the program chair will give you a day or two grace period.

Are you proposing a panel of speakers on a common theme? If so, it's time to let the meeting organizers know.

Because we have not had many inquiries about panels, we may need to lead by example in order to set up panels of speakers addressing a common theme.

Therefore, if you have suggestions - including yourself - for experts on the following themes, please contact Jennifer Ruesink (rue...@uw.edu):

1) Roles of disturbance in estuarine and coastal structure and function;

 2) Why restoration succeeds....or doesn't?

 f3) Hypoxia. Jude Apple (Jude....@wwu.edu )

There are still a few rooms available at Talaris, this is the best option, I am told it is a very well appointed location, and the rooms can accommodate more than one if needed.

We have the pleasure of two speakers, the opening speaker on Friday morning and a banquet speaker see their brief bio's below.

Friday morning plenary, March 20;

Speaker: Dr. Colin Levings,

Title: The Estuary as a Challenge to Salmonid Survival – A Global Overview

Biography: As a youth Colin Levings spent a lot of time fishing in the lower Fraser River, British Columbia (B.C). After studying at the University of B.C. and Dalhousie University in Nova Scotia he started work as a research scientist with Fisheries and Oceans Canada in West Vancouver, B.C. He was involved with some of the first studies on the estuarine ecology of salmonids on the Pacific coast. During his career he has worked in about 20 estuaries in B.C. as well as quite few overseas and the west coast of the USA. He has published papers and reports on a wide range of estuarine topics, has mentored numerous students and colleagues, and served on advisory boards. Colin is a founding member and past President of PERS. After retiring he continues to work but makes time to teach his four grandsons about the coast.

More information: http://ires.ubc.ca/person/colin-levings/

Dinner program, Friday, March 20:

Speaker: Dr. Kevin Bailey,

Title: Of Fish and Men: In the Wake of the Western Flyer

Biography: Kevin Bailey is a Seattle-based writer, renown marine biologist and Founding Director of the Man & Sea Institute. He has published two books: The Billion-Dollar Fish and The Western Flyer: Steinbeck's Boat, the Sea of Cortez and the Saga of Pacific Fisheries. He's currently working on a new book on small-scale "green" fisheries. He's written articles for Earth Island Journal, Crosscut, and The Daily Beast. In another incarnation, Kevin worked at NOAA for too many years.

More information: http://www.manandsea.org/uploads/3/1/9/4/3194538/cv-topublish.pdf

Looking forward to seeing everyone at this exciting meeting.

PERS 2015 planning committee