Gina Marie Oehlert - limerick township, pa

FlatF...@pressure.com

Apr 23, 2002, 3:31:35 PM4/23/02
Dangerous chase yields probation

STEPHEN O'TOOLE, Times Herald Staff April 23, 2002

COURTHOUSE -- A 19-year-old Phoenixville woman who ran another woman off the
road after chasing her at high speeds on Route 422 from Limerick to Upper
Merion will be under court supervision for at least five years.
Gina Marie Oehlert pleaded guilty in Montgomery County Court to hit-and-run
and reckless endangerment, both misdemeanors.

Judge Maurino J. Rossanese on Monday sentenced her to five years of
probation with 24 hours of community service each year and anger-management
counseling as needed.

Rossanese declined the prosecutor's request that Oehlert spend at least a
weekend in jail to send a message to her and the community about such
behavior.

"This was a quintessential case of road rage," Assistant District Attorney
Christopher Mullaney said.

While Rossanese described jail time as inappropriate for Oehlert, he urged
her to avoid criminal behavior during her probation.

"If you do something else, it's going to be like you're slapping me in my
face, and I don't like to be slapped," Rossanese said. "There will be a jail
cell waiting for you."

Oehlert chased Jana Fritz on July 8 of last year from the dead end of South
Limerick Road in Limerick until Fritz crashed on Route 202 near the
Interstate 76 on-ramp, because she thought her former boyfriend, Steven
Weisniewski, was in the car, Upper Merion Police said in court documents.

Oehlert drove behind Fritz, flashing her headlights and honking her horn
until ultimately driving beside her and jerking the steering wheel toward
the car, police said.

Fritz's car skidded off the road and landed on the roof, while Oehlert drove
away. Fritz was treated for severe bruising and cuts, police said.

In a tearful courtroom statement prior to receiving her sentence Tuesday,
Oehlert apologized for the incident.

"I know now that I should have listened to my parents when they told me not
to let it get to me," Oehlert said.

"I didn't mean for this to happen," Oehlert said through her sobs. "I
learned my lesson."

Norristown defense attorney John I. McMahon Jr. argued against jail time. He
cited Oehlert's age, lack of criminal record and the fact no one was
seriously injured.

McMahon described the sentence imposed by Rossanese as reasonable under the
circumstances.

"She is very remorseful and realizes what terrible judgment she exercised,"
McMahon said.

Oehlert must also pay a $750 fine and $643.55 restitution for damages to the
car.

Stephen O'Toole can be reached at crimina...@aol.com or 610-272-2501,
ext. 254.

©The Times Herald 2002

NewsOne.Net prohibits users from posting spam. If this or other posts
made through NewsOne.Net violate posting guidelines, email ab...@newsone.net