The Independent

It Ain't Taint

Jun 19, 2001, 9:05:11 AM6/19/01
Article found on Steve Saviello's LIM-SF MAILING LIST.
No attribution to party posting shown.

Letters to the Editor
The Independent & Montgomery Transcript
Collegeville & Trappe, Pennsylvania
6/5 & 6/12/01
Dear Editor,
I was quoted in a recent (5/25) Valley Item story saying that I support
the decommissioning of the Collegeville Dam and that as a result I believed
the water levels downstream from the dam would rise, resulting in increased
recreational uses for the citizens of Collegeville. I have been asked by the
Collegeville Dam Society (CDS) to support my statement.
My backgound is: a degree in Biology from Temple University, publications
in the field of protein biochemistry/molecular biology, I am certified to
teach secondary biology and am currently a Sr. Clinical Scientist/Medical
Writer at GlaxoSmithKline in Collegeville. I am a resident of Collegeville
and also a candidate for borough council. My opinions on decommissioning the
dam are based on extensive biological research rather than sentiment,
emotions, politics or hype, though it is evident that strong feelings abound
on both sides of this issue.
Dams alter the natural physical processes that sustain stream structure
and have catastrophic effects on plants and animals that depend on these
processes. Water quality is diminished downstream of dams. Dams starve
streams of natural sediment transport processes. There is no effective way to
engineer the natural passage of sediment downstream from dams. Dams create
barriers to the natural passage of fish upstream and this dam in particular
provides little or no benefit to society. As a dam's structure ages and
weaken, they become unsafe, hazardous and costly to maintain.
The greatest benefit of dam removal is the restoration of natural stream
flow. Wildlife thrive with the return of streams, creeks and rivers to their
natural levels. Public safety is protected by preventing dam associated
accidents and drownings and, yes, recreational opportunities are enhanced
downstream when a stream is restored to its natural free flowing state.
These views are shared by many ecological experts, including former Interior
Secretary Bruce Babbitt, and respected ecological organizations, such as the
Sierra Club, the River Network and Friends of the Earth. They agree that
most dams have outlived their original purpose and are working towards
restoring streams and rivers to their natural state.
As to the threatened Collegeville mudflats that the CDS claims will
result from removing the dam, the only "mudflats" I have experienced while
kayaking on the Perkiomen were downstream from the current dam which chokes
the creek of its natural flow and makes current recreational use of the creek
for the residents of Collegeville borough downstream almost impossible.
Sheila B. Young
Collegeville

The following letter was released to The Independent:

May 30, 2001
Mr. David E. Hess
Department of Environmental Protection
P.O. Box 2063,
Harrisburg, PA 17105-2063

RE: Collegeville Mill Dam & Water Reservoirs

Dear Mr. Hess,
Our water supply is very precious to all citizens of Pennsylvania, and in
our small community it seems like every year the Perkiomen Creek, a tributary
of the Schukyll River, becomes smaller and smaller. Massive influxes of
people and over development of our once vast farmlands have depleted our
aquifers.
It is my hope, after reading an article about you in the Philadelphia
Inquirer, that you will aid us in our efforts to save the old mill dam which
effects several townships lining the Perkiomen Creek. The Collegeville Mill
Dam, built 1708 has maintained a lake environment for nearly 300 years as
well as a water level that helps to replenish our wells. During times of
drought it is important to preserve water and unlike areas downstream of the
dam drying up, the area above the dam remains relatively undaunted.
While the Fish & Boat Commission is pushing to remove the dam to restore
Shad to the Perkiomen, (which they admit have never been proven to be up this
far), we fight back.
We question the loss of a lake environment currently and historically
enjoyed, a loss of water level that replenishes the public and Borough wells,
and we question whether destroying each and every dam that was ever created
is worth the loss of a historic structure, the first of its kind on the
Perkiomen that reminds us of our history.
While environmentalists use the standard mentality that dams are bad, we
site the fact that an established lake environment has been created who are
they to say that their visioned environment is worth the loss of what we know
and love?
Collegeville Borough Council, lacking funding, has accepted a Growing Greener
Grant to remove the dam. We believe this is a violation of Project 70 Land
Acquisition & Borrowing Act because the Borough purchased the dam for its
"historical and recreational" usages. Now they are ignoring that and asking
for more money, this time to remove it. Money always seems to be an issue,
and it would be a shame to loose such a wonderful piece of our history, our
local environment, and a structure that maintains our water levels all
because a small Borough does not have sufficient funding.
I urge you to make a simple model in your mind. Imagine a creek in a
drought situation. One with dams; consistent water levels, green banks,
recreational opportunities, replenished aquifers. Now imagine a creek without
dams; a dried out river bed, no fishing, no boating, no swimming, and most
important dried up wells and water shortages. God forbid a fire breaks out in
Evansburg State Park and it burns all the way to Philadelphia because they
surely wouldn't have water to pump from the Perkiomen if our dam goes.
So Mr. Hess, I ask you to think outside the box and look at the big
picture. I humbly suggest that all dam removals be halted until further
assessment of our drinking water supply is ascertained. You have an
opportunity to show people that dams do serve a purpose and can help protect
our precious water supply. Please help us save our dam, save our creek, save
our history, protect our water.
Sincerely yours,
Amanda Helwig
Acting Director
Collegeville Dam Society

CC: State Rep. John Lawless
Douglas Blazey, Esq.
Members
Jim Stewart, The Independent
Kate Masterson, The Phila. Inquirer

6/12/01
To the Editor:
I am grateful for this opportunity to address my supporters in the recent
election.
In the capacity of Mayor, I have served Trappe Borough for 12 years and
because recently you got involved and took the time to participate in the
process, I am allowed to continue to give my best efforts to our community.
Thanks for getting to know me.
Clearly the most invigorating challenge in recent memory, my thanks goes
to my opponent, Mr. Ed McDade, whom I hope, will continue to remain active in
local administration. I believe he would be a solid asset to Trappe.
Finally, to my son and daughter, who worked the polls with me, my wife
and my closest associates…. I cannot thank you enough.
As always, do not hesitate to contact me directely if I can help resolve
any issues.
Warm regards,
Richard Bateman
Mayor
Trappe Borough

***
To subscribe to THE INDEPENDENT call 610-489-3001. An independent newspaper
published each week since 1875.
To fax: 610-489-8633. E-mail: indpen...@aol.com.

ssavi...@gmail.com

Jul 21, 2018, 10:12:12 AM7/21/18