p4a Calendar view confusing for Long events

Dylan Jay

May 26, 2010, 3:10:37 AM5/26/10
to Plone4Artists users
Hi,

p4a.plonecaledar is great and provides some really nice views. However
we've hit a limitation and we're wondering if anyone has found a
solution?

If you have an event that spans many months the standard calendar list
view shows the event only in the month it starts with no indication
that this event runs longer than that month. A nice way to solve this
would be repeat the event in each month it occurs, or perhaps include
the end date.
It would also be really nice that if you've filtered events to just
show what's current, you just start the list at todays date.

http://plone.org/products/plone4artistscalendar/issues/5

Lennart Regebro

May 26, 2010, 3:52:16 AM5/26/10
to p4a-...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 09:10, Dylan Jay <dj...@pretaweb.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> p4a.plonecaledar is great and provides some really nice views. However
> we've hit a limitation and we're wondering if anyone has found a
> solution?

No, multi-day events are not really supported at the moment, and they
are very hard to support with the current catalog architecture of
Plone.
http://regebro.wordpress.com/
+33 661 58 14 64

Dylan Jay

May 26, 2010, 4:14:44 AM5/26/10
to p4a-...@googlegroups.com
On 26/05/2010, at 5:52 PM, Lennart Regebro wrote:

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 09:10, Dylan Jay <dj...@pretaweb.com> wrote:
Hi,

p4a.plonecaledar is great and provides some really nice views. However
we've hit a limitation and we're wondering if anyone has found a
solution?

No, multi-day events are not really supported at the moment, and they
are very hard to support with the current catalog architecture of
Plone.

The question was purely about the upcoming or list view of events. The one that looks like below. As you can see there is no way to know that the May 27 events runs in June too. You can see it's not really a catalog bug, purely a UI bug.

May 2010

May 27
Macquarie Visions
Macquarie Street, Sydney
A free public event celebrating in immersive light displays, the 200th anniversary and story of two visionary leaders, Governor Lachlan Macquarie and his wife Elizabeth.

June 2010

June 30
Luminary Light and Art Installations
Church Street Mall, Parramatta
A spectacular five-day theatrical light display on Parramatta’s landmark buildings celebrating the magnificence of Macquarie’s vision for Parramatta.
June 30
Luminary Street Parade
Church Street Mall, Parramatta
The Luminary Street Parade will launch on 30 June and will assemble in Macquarie Street Parramatta.

November 2010

November 6
Festival of Fisher's Ghost Street Parade
Broughton Street to Koshigaya Park, Campbelltown
Campbelltown's annual parade will be awash with purple in recognition of Elizabeth Macquarie's contribution and her new iris.

http://regebro.wordpress.com/
+33 661 58 14 64

Lennart Regebro

May 26, 2010, 4:19:23 AM5/26/10
to p4a-...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 10:14, Dylan Jay <dj...@pretaweb.com> wrote:
> The question was purely about the upcoming or list view of events. The one
> that looks like below. As you can see there is no way to know that the May
> 27 events runs in June too. You can see it's not really a catalog bug,
> purely a UI bug.

It's not a bug at all. Multi-day events isn't supported. If you want
to implement it, go ahead. :-)

Wyn Williams

May 26, 2010, 4:31:29 AM5/26/10
to p4a-...@googlegroups.com
Dylan, the related events functionality available via the category may be of help to you, if they are interested in and view the event in question they would see it continues through that method.

On an unrelated note we are organising a small event (around 4,000 people) in June and are going to work on a method to have the calendar views show a selected month/week/day as the event is still several months away and the calendar only reflects the current month/week/day.

If somebody has already done this can they let me know so I do not re-invent the wheel.

Peace

Wyn Williams