Issues in embedding video

citizencontact

Dec 6, 2009, 11:10:56 AM12/6/09
to Plone4Artists users
I want to make the pages that show video using the ADD LINK feature
valid XHTML. The <embed> tag needs to be stripped and the <param>
needs to be a closed tag. Can someone tell me how best to do this and
perhaps in the future fix this in new versions?

In the meantime, I have spent some time figuring out how to add
embedded video into Plone pages in a valid XHTML way. After changing
the HTML filtering Control Panel page: take out the <object> and
<param> from the "nasty" and "stripped", but make sure despite other
documentation, leave the <embed> and never add it to the "custom
tag." (perhaps there will be a HTML5 set of templates that will need
an HTML5 specific filtering and templates).

Then, go into the ZMI to make the <param> tag closed only (i.e. change
the number one to zero). This is vital to keep the peculiar
interaction between Kupu and the final templated result from having
problems.

For every embedding of externally hosted video (e.g. YouTube), clean
up the HTML by:
* stripping the <embed> info
* stripping any style info and if necessary converting to height and
width attributes
* making all param tags into closed tags (i.e. <param />
* testing the page after posted with the XHTML button or going to
http://validator.w3.org

This seems to work for me. See http://ecitizenproject.org/elearning-and-media
for an example of embedded video that is valid XHTML and works in most
up to date browsers such as Firefox, Chrome and IE.

Daniel

Eric Tyrer

Dec 7, 2009, 11:31:20 AM12/7/09
to p4a-...@googlegroups.com
I've gotten embedded videos to work fine. its blob storage for vids and audio files that are driving me nuts..

-e
---------
Eric S. Tyrer II
Web Systems Manager
Linux/Macintosh Systems Manager

York College - The City University of New York
http://www.york.cuny.edu
94-20 Guy R. Brewer Blvd.
Academic Core - STE 1H14
Jamaica, NY 11451

http://www.york.cuny.edu/etyrer
ety...@york.cuny.edu

(P) 718-262-2466
(C) 347-393-6507

The secret to happiness is low expectations. - Barry Schwartz on the Paradox of Choice

citizencontact

Dec 7, 2009, 11:56:26 AM12/7/09
to Plone4Artists users
I did not mean that the video didn't play when embedded. I said it
broke the XHTML validity of the page (http://validator.w3.org is the
most authoritative test system and is used in the default Plone
template).

Daniel
> > This seems to work for me. Seehttp://ecitizenproject.org/elearning-and-media
> > for an example of embedded video that is valid XHTML and works in most
> > up to date browsers such as Firefox, Chrome and IE.
>
> ---------
> Eric S. Tyrer II
> Web Systems Manager
> Linux/Macintosh Systems Manager
>
> York College - The City University of New Yorkhttp://www.york.cuny.edu

citizencontact

Dec 8, 2009, 10:34:47 AM12/8/09
to Plone4Artists users
more info on fixing <param> tag from open to closed in Plone.

in the ZMI go to Portal Transforms, then to safe HTML.
( portal_transforms/safe_html/manage_main ). There will be a list of
the tags with a 0 or 1 in the second column. Change the param tag from
1 to 0. Then hit Submit button at bottom. According the directions at
the top, you will need to clear the cache, which I did by restarting
Zope... a couple of times. Also, I deleted completely the HTML code
with the param tags and then saved and repasted in to just have a
clean page first.