Re: The opportunity with the Financial Crisis

Frederic Baud

Dec 2, 2008, 3:49:54 AM12/2/08
to BarCampBank, p2pve...@googlegroups.com
I think that the impact of the current financial situations and the
opportunities to reform the institutions should necessarily be
approached from the mid-term angle on one side and the longer term
angle on the other side.

In the mid-term, I don't think we should see any loosening of
regulations and quite on the contrary we will probably see additional
controls (see the SEC's reaction on Prosper). Which means that when
thinking mid-term, we should try to find solutions based on the
current tools to implement what existing institutions don't want to do
or don't do well. As mentioned earlier by Sam, a Credit Union for
Entrepreneurs seems a try and tested legal form of organization that
could do a lot. If the problem is the collection of funds on a wider
basis, I think that in the mid-term, there are probably no other
solutions than to comply with SEC's injunctions for p2p lending.

In the longer term, we can imagine asking Politics to change the
rules. On my side, I'm starting to think that a lot of the problems we
have are due to the rigid legal framework for contracts. I've been
spending times lately thinking a lot about p2pmoney and alternative
currencies as a way to let entrepreneurs loosely and quickly organize
resources when bootstraping projects.

Cheers,

Frederic