"Introduction to PHP" Announcements

Matt Buscemi

Jan 14, 2011, 2:33:10 PM1/14/11
to p2pu-w...@googlegroups.com
Hi School of Webcraft,

I understand that there's some confusion about the sign up task for the course I am organizing, "Introduction to PHP" (http://p2pu.org/webcraft/introduction-php).  If you've emailed me and I've been glib or if I haven't responded yet, I sincerely apologize.  Response to my course (and I imagine all other Webcraft courses!) has been massive, and in my case, it has been difficult for me to find time to answer every email to the best of my abilities during the work week.  But, I am setting aside a lot of time this weekend to:
  1. Catch up on my emails from prospective participants with questions.  If you have emailed me and haven't received a response, I will make sure it's the first thing I do tomorrow.
  2. Improve the clarity of my sign-up task.  Of course, I will not be changing the task or its component parts.  If you have already submitted your sign up task, and you feel confident about it, you won't have to change a thing.  However, I have received a lot of emails with questions asking me to clarify parts of it, so it must be that there is room for improvement in my presentation of the task.  I will be doing my best to have my clarifications in place before the weekend is out (before the end of the day on January 16).  I will not be closing submissions until January 22, as stated on the course home page.
  3. Follow up with everyone who has been gracious enough to offer their assistance as co-coordinator.  I haven't even been able to get back to all of you.  I apologize.  I will be emailing all of you this weekend with more information about how I plan on dividing up the participants into groups and how I expect our relationship as co-facilitators to work.  I think I may have given some of you some brief outline of this, but I will clarify everything to everyone in a single email this weekend.  Once again, thank you so much for offering to help.
- Matt Buscemi

Pippa Buchanan

Jan 14, 2011, 3:36:21 PM1/14/11
to p2pu-w...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matt,

that's great - I hope that you haven't been too overloaded with emails from applicants and interested people. Good luck with getting everything done this weekend.

It also sounds like you've received a lot of interest from people who are offering help to you as co-coordinators. That's great!

If you haven't already, you also send a message to all applicants via the Broadcast tool within the course management system on P2PU.org?  While many of the applicants are here on the list, it's difficult to guarantee that they'll read this thread. :-)

Thanks,

Pippa

You received this message because you are subscribed to the "P2PU School of Webcraft" mailing list. This is a community list for discussing ideas and making decisions about the School of Webcraft, a project run by Mozilla and P2PU.

To find out more about the project please read our FAQ: http://p2pu.org/webcraft/school-webcraft-frequently-asked-questions

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/p2pu-webcraft?hl=en

Jessica Ledbetter

Jan 14, 2011, 4:31:35 PM1/14/11
to p2pu-w...@googlegroups.com
Andy Lindeman made a new email account (p2pu@) for the sign up tasks.
I think that's a great idea and am probably going to do something
similar or set up heavy duty filtering. I assume it helps keep things
organized. Does it, Andy?

Andy Lindeman

Jan 14, 2011, 4:35:28 PM1/14/11
to p2pu-w...@googlegroups.com
Definitely, I have a Gmail filter that labels anything going to p2pu@
... and I review them in batches.

The same concept could go for any email client/service.

Andy Lindeman
http://www.andylindeman.com/

kurianjimmy11

Jan 21, 2011, 10:18:58 PM1/21/11
to School of Webcraft
How and where do I register?

Fergus

Jan 24, 2011, 12:34:30 PM1/24/11
to School of Webcraft

On Jan 21, 7:18 pm, kurianjimmy11 <kurianjimm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> How and where do I register?

Hi, Jimmy. I regret to inform you applications for the Introduction to
PHP course are closed. The response to the class was overwhelming,
with hundreds of applicants.

I believe the co-ordinator, Matt, originally planned to accept 20
applicants, but received well over ten times that number. As a result,
he has sought and received the assistance of a few co-facilitators,
but even so the number of available seats is only 80. Even with this
extraordinary step, the substantial majority of applicants must be
turned away.

Priority was given to those applicants who submitted complete
applications, fulfilling the required sign-up tasks. Of those,
applications were reviewed for the most promising learners -- those
who read, understood, and followed the sign-up tasks suggesting that
they would be the most likely to benefit from the course and be a
benefit to their fellow learners.

To any who feel discouraged that they were not accepted or missed the
opportunity to register, I fully expect that this course will continue
in the future and other opportunities will be there for your
applications to be successful. I would also suggest for those whose
applications were incomplete or did not follow directions that it
would be best to review the sign-up tasks fully and to complete them
to the best of your ability, especially when there is so much
competition for seats in the course.

As always, the views I express here are only my own. I do not
represent P2PU or the School of Webcraft, nor do I speak for the
primary co-ordinator or anyone else involved in this or any course.
I'm new to this community and am learning about it and how it works.

Matt Buscemi

Jan 24, 2011, 3:01:21 PM1/24/11
to p2pu-w...@googlegroups.com
Fergus,

Very well said!

When I closed the "Introduction to PHP" course on January 22, I had 238 applications!  Thankfully, Fergus, as well as Tousif Baig, Amy Donahue and Saulo Venancio have agree to help coordinate, raising the number of participants we can accept substantially.  But -- 238 applications.  And of those, 156 completed the sign up task.  It is simply impossible for us to meet that demand, and I sincerely regret having to turn away qualified applicants.

I hope that, as Fergus says, the community will continue with Introduction to PHP courses in the future.  I expect that the five of us co-facilitating Intro to PHP will learn a lot about running a PHP course, and that in the next round of courses, we'll have an even better, more refined and improved syllabus and course experience to offer to potential participants.

- Matt

Pippa Buchanan

Jan 24, 2011, 7:54:16 PM1/24/11
to p2pu-w...@googlegroups.com
*** Love Bomb / Round of Applause *** to Matt and Fergus for explaining the situation so well. (Are you able to write blog posts about the co-facilitation process?)

*** Love Bomb / Round of Applause 2.0 *** to Fergus, Tousif Baig, Amy Donahue and Saulo Venancio who along with Matt have volunteered to help co-facilitate the course and allow an extra 60 people into the course.

It's people like you who make it extra lovely to work within this community.

Thank you.

P*

J Henderson

Jan 24, 2011, 7:58:59 PM1/24/11
to p2pu-w...@googlegroups.com
I completely agree with Pippa, this will be the new standard for
e-learning because education is going digital. I work at a innovative
technology store and seeing kids barely able to walk use computers is
fascinating. The younger generation knows nothing but digital technology
and they will learn via the internet and cloud. I just want to say a
GREAT Thank you to the contributors and creators of this great platform.
I shall provide screencasts of my contribution and will upload the
interaction weekly on every course to get more people here in Dallas
interested. I look forward to learning and engaging with EVERYONE this
is quite exciting for a student who is sitting out of school this year!!

J Henderson
BluJConcepts
Dallas, TX 75243
Cell: 832.303.BLUJ
http://blujconcepts.net
http://blujconcepts.net/blog
http://twitter.com/blujconcepts

iDesign iCreate iInnovat

rish...@gmail.com

Jan 25, 2011, 1:00:39 AM1/25/11
to p2pu-w...@googlegroups.com
Can I access this course material?

Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

From: Matt Buscemi <ikim...@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 10:01:21 -1000
Subject: Re: [p2pu-webcraft] Re: "Introduction to PHP" Announcements

Paul Wilkins

Jan 25, 2011, 1:10:19 AM1/25/11
to p2pu-w...@googlegroups.com
On 25 January 2011 19:00, <rish...@gmail.com> wrote:
Can I access this course material?

Yes. You can get to the course syllabus from the web page for the Introduction to PHP course.

--
Paul Wilkins

Fergus

Jan 25, 2011, 3:46:22 PM1/25/11
to School of Webcraft

On Jan 24, 4:54 pm, Pippa Buchanan <Pippa.Bucha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> *** Love Bomb / Round of Applause *** to Matt and Fergus for explaining the
> situation so well. (Are you able to write blog posts about the
> co-facilitation process?)

Yes, I would be happy to assist with this. I'm already learning from
the challenges we face with the multi-section approach. I'm happy to
say, though, that I think by identifying those challenges and ways
they can be solved, we can contribute to a protocol that will make it
much easier for courses to be organized in this way in the future.

> *** Love Bomb / Round of Applause 2.0 *** to Fergus, Tousif Baig, Amy
> Donahue and Saulo Venancio who along with Matt have volunteered to help
> co-facilitate the course and allow an extra 60 people into the course.
>
> It's people like you who make it extra lovely to work within this community.

Thanks, Pippa. Your constant presence and positivity is a beacon for
us all too. It means a lot seeing you on here rallying the community
and encouraging all of us sincerely.

JWeb

Jan 25, 2011, 8:46:49 AM1/25/11
to p2pu-w...@googlegroups.com
Apologize in advance for using this thread - there are many channels and its tough to tell who is reading/monitoring what.

I've heard nothing of my app to 'Introduction to PHP'.  My alias (jweb) doesn't appear on any of acceptance lists, nor have I received a rejection email.

Hopefully the lead instructor, or one of the assistants for the course can help.

Many thanks,
Jeff Weber