What do we need to do to be ready for millions of visitors?

Pippa Buchanan

May 9, 2011, 5:09:40 AM5/9/11
to p2pu-w...@googlegroups.com
School of Webcraft was plugged by Mashable (again).  It's tough being such an awesomely cool and popular project.

Thankfully the site doesn't appear to have crashed from the response like it did before christmas. :-) Remembering this though, I'd like for this list to respond to though an exercise put forward by Allen Gunn (Gunner) at the Mozilla Foundation meeting last month.  I'll use your responses to guide how I write content for the school page on the new site, bring the current site as up to date as possible and to update our page on Drumbeta.org.

Your project is on the front page of the New York Times / Wired Magazine has written a feature about School of Webcraft. As a result hundreds of thousands of visitors are coming to your site. What do you need to do in preparation to inform them and to invite them to participate in the project?

More specifically, how do we communicate School of Webcraft to new visitors? How do we take them from viewing our home page to signing-up for a project and even better, how do we communicate to them that they have the power to create a new study group?