WordPress 101

Jonathan Gittlin

Jan 19, 2011, 11:35:31 AM1/19/11
to p2pu-w...@googlegroups.com

Is WordPress 101 taught by seatomato cancelled?

Janet Davies

Jan 19, 2011, 4:05:42 PM1/19/11
to p2pu-w...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jonathan

It's no longer on the main list of courses, possibly because it's full but the course home page is still there when you search for Wordpress:

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 4:35 PM, Jonathan Gittlin <jgit...@gmail.com> wrote:

Is WordPress 101 taught by seatomato cancelled?

You received this message because you are subscribed to the "P2PU School of Webcraft" mailing list. This is a community list for discussing ideas and making decisions about the School of Webcraft, a project run by Mozilla and P2PU.

To find out more about the project please read our FAQ: http://p2pu.org/webcraft/school-webcraft-frequently-asked-questions

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/p2pu-webcraft?hl=en

Jessica Ledbetter

Jan 19, 2011, 4:10:53 PM1/19/11
to p2pu-w...@googlegroups.com
Wild. It says 10 but I only see 1 -- the admin. Bug? Or maybe closed
until seatomato can add the people?

Pippa Buchanan

Jan 19, 2011, 11:24:22 PM1/19/11
to p2pu-w...@googlegroups.com
Hi all, seatomato's closed applications as the course is full.

From the Course page "Applications are now closed as the course is full. This course is scheduled to run from 26 January 2011 to 9 March 2011."

Stian Håklev

Jan 20, 2011, 12:12:25 AM1/20/11
to p2pu-w...@googlegroups.com
I think we need to think through the application process for next round. I can totally understand course organizers who are overwhelmed with hundreds of applications, and don't want to spend weeks sifting through them. At the other hand, we did tell participants initially that it wasn't "first to the mill", and it might seem a bit unfair if we close a bunch of courses very early...

Perhaps in the next iteration of the P2PU system, we can have a feature saying "no matter how many applied, I just want to review a random sample of 50 applications"... :)

Of course, the huge interest is also a very positive thing!

Stian
--
http://reganmian.net/blog -- Random Stuff that Matters

Pippa Buchanan

Jan 20, 2011, 2:33:19 AM1/20/11
to p2pu-w...@googlegroups.com
I think that this has also been confused by the ordering of the orientation process running concurrent with the sign-up period. There's also no firm statement in the Course Design Handbook (and incidentally from SoW) about managing and communicating how long the sign-up process should take / responsibilities to inform interested applicants etc.

It will be great if we can work with course organisers to get their ideas around how best to manage applications. Perhaps we run a lottery? You can signal interest in a course, but only x number of people get the opportunity to sign-up. They'd still need to complete a sign-up task, but at least the organiser would only need to review x applications! (Note: I don't think this is a viable option)

P*

http://wiki.p2pu.org/w/page/30057620/course-page-administration

Jessica Ledbetter

Jan 20, 2011, 11:08:38 AM1/20/11
to p2pu-w...@googlegroups.com
Saying what the signup period is is a great idea. I know with the Ruby
course, Andy had a bunch of applications, then sent out an amendment
to the signup task. I was totally fine with that -- again, showed the
students' desire to get in. He also listed when he would be making the
decision.

If we have a date, that might cut down on the "did I get in" comments
on courses and emails. But there also seemed to be a problem sending
denial letters?

I agree that a lottery wouldn't be the best way. If there are 100
excellent applications, I would hope the organizer asks for
co-facilitators. Also, organizers should keep in mind the 40% (did I
hear that right?) drop rate when accepting folks.

I missed the "Applications are now closed as the course is full. This
course is scheduled to run from 26 January 2011 to 9 March 2011." It
blends so well :) Maybe a "Closed" button like the "signup" coloring
but orange or some hierarchical styling like "bolding some header:
CLOSED<br/>regular text with some padding: This course is ..." Though
that might be in the new design plans. I saw them somewhere.