Feedbacks from Ruby and Rails course

cloneofsnake

Jan 18, 2011, 10:29:47 PM1/18/11
to School of Webcraft
Starting a thread here for participants of the Ruby class to submit
feedbacks / suggestions for improvements to P2PU.

I'll go first.

Conversation is too spread out. The course hasn't started yet and
users are commenting on both the course front page and in the forums.
I get the emails (on my phone) and sometimes there're good info I want
to respond to, I click on the link but it doesn't bring me directly to
that comment that I want to respond to. Often times I'm lost and I
gave up on commenting.

My suggestions:

1) direct reply to comment from email (like Google Groups. {Pretty
sure this has been suggested before.})

2) if comments are misplaced, admins / moderators should be able to
move it to the proper topic / thread.

Stian Håklev

Jan 18, 2011, 10:46:20 PM1/18/11
to p2pu-w...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

feedback is very welcome! Yes, direct replies by email have been proposed many times, and we've spent some time thinking about how to handle it. We've pretty much concluded that it would not be feasible to implement in the current version, but it's an obligatory feature for the next platform, which we are meeting in NYC at the end of the week to really push forwards (no ETA though, alas).

Would love to hear other ideas too. We should try to organize a place on the wiki to collect them - both stuff that it's actually possible to fix currently (you can also post these to tracker.p2pu.org), and ideas for design of the future platform.

Stian

You received this message because you are subscribed to the "P2PU School of Webcraft" mailing list. This is a community list for discussing ideas and making decisions about the School of Webcraft, a project run by Mozilla and P2PU.

To find out more about the project please read our FAQ: http://p2pu.org/webcraft/school-webcraft-frequently-asked-questions

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/p2pu-webcraft?hl=en

--
http://reganmian.net/blog -- Random Stuff that Matters

Aleks

Jan 19, 2011, 3:14:13 AM1/19/11
to p2pu-w...@googlegroups.com

The course will be using Google Groups when it starts as I understood. https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/p2pu-rubyrails-jan2011

> 2) if comments are misplaced, admins / moderators should be able to
> move it to the proper topic / thread.

Overall, as I had no problems setting up the environment (as the signup task), I didn't need as much help as other posters. Thus, my use of the current setup with the board, the email group and the IRC channel was rather limited.

Sivasubramanian M

Jan 19, 2011, 2:20:00 AM1/19/11
to p2pu-w...@googlegroups.com
Dear Stian Håklev

I am in the middle of the sign up process for the Ruby on Rails course, delayed on the sign
up tasks because of a sight hitch in proceeding with the gem installation of vagrant.

Please be kind enough to include me in this course. I am unable to access the sign up tasks
list page. If I can have the instructions, I will complete the sign up tasks with some technical help
within 24 hours.

Thank you.

Sivasubramanian M
http://isocmadras.blogspot.com

Jessica Ledbetter

Jan 20, 2011, 10:28:25 AM1/20/11
to p2pu-w...@googlegroups.com
It's not just the Ruby course, for sure!

I usually go to this part when I get emailed about a new comment:
"or reply via ____url here that goes right to it_____"

Because you are right, there were posts everywhere! I'm not sure what
the course home page comments are for anyway. I've seen people post
for help, and check on the status. One of the things that I'm loving
about the ruby course is the IRC activity. People can pop on and ask
for help. Maybe threads only on the forum would be good. Keep the
course home clean and tidy and for the course facilitator only.