Just to say that I am here

janu

Aug 13, 2011, 3:20:47 AM8/13/11
to p2pu...@googlegroups.com
Hello All,

 I just managed to will myself back ... and I have completed most of the exercises in chapter 1. To me chapter is a complete computer science without data structure. It touched Dynamic programming, Divide and Conquer , Multiplication, function abstraction , higher-order function, RSA and prime. This is awesome. I am pretty happy that I chose to hang out with you guys if not I won't have studied it like a student. I have gained a lot and I have also started seeing its result in the way I model programs and problem solving.
I chose Clojure .... which to me is not because of any particular reason. I have my github address at https://github.com/janus/SICPSTUDY. And I would want to add it is our wiki and also write my experience so far. I found some problems a bit too hard . I intend to return to them soon. Some questions were just repetition of say two previous ones .. I didn't think that I should spend much time on such because all I needed is to edit my previous solutions. I intend to be a bit focused going on and I would want to complete chapter two before the end of this month(worst case scenario).

Regards,
emeka

Josmas Flores

Aug 14, 2011, 2:41:19 PM8/14/11
to p2pu...@googlegroups.com
Hey Emeka, great to hear that!

are you joining us in the irc meeting in about 20 minutes? room is
#sicp on freenode.

cheers,
Jos

Andres Raba

Aug 14, 2011, 5:59:13 PM8/14/11
to p2pu...@googlegroups.com
Great work, Emeka!

And good summary of the big ideas in first chapter. Data structures and more great stuff coming in chapter two.

Clojure is very good choice, syntax differences with Scheme are minimal. I hope Clojure will take off and fly high. There are interesting developments happening all the time. Just a few weeks ago, ClojureScript was introduced. So you have a nice roadmap: SICP with Clojure -> solid foundation of CS -> concurrency with multicore -> server side on JVM/CLR -> client side on Javascript. The whole spectrum handled by Clojure.

I added your repo to the wiki. Is it okay to add your blog, too? Be encouraged to write about your experiences and the difficult parts.

Keep on going!
Andres

janu

Aug 15, 2011, 5:35:34 PM8/15/11
to p2pu...@googlegroups.com
I live in Africa ... And I find you time not always convenience. But I will try to make it next time

janu

Aug 15, 2011, 5:44:29 PM8/15/11
to p2pu...@googlegroups.com
Andres, Thanks ... I will want my blog to me add ... once I have stuff there I will like you know.