Hello everyone :-) Bios?

cal5k

Jun 12, 2011, 3:35:58 PM6/12/11
to p2pu...@googlegroups.com
Just thought it would be great if we got to know where everyone's at. I posted on Hacker News looking for a learning partner and found out about this group. Why reinvent the wheel, right?

A bit of background on me: I'm a business development manager at a Canadian software company (located in Toronto). I taught myself C at the age of 14, built Java games in highschool, then promptly did very little through university and afterwards in terms of comp sci. I'd like to get back into it in more than a skin-deep way.

It's largely for interest's sake, but my secondary goal is to be able to create a prototype when I inevitably start another company in the future and understand the technical issues in a deep way.

Josmas Flores

Jun 12, 2011, 5:56:57 PM6/12/11
to p2pu...@googlegroups.com
Hey there,

Great idea about the introductions and the hacker news article!

I'm Jos and after organising an Open Wonderland development course
through P2PU earlier this year, I thought that it would be a good
platform for an SICP study group.
I am mainly a Java guy but started playing about with Javascript about
two months ago and got hooked into it. Love the functional aspect of
it so thought that going through SICP would help a lot to grasp the
more advanced concepts. Douglas Crockford recommends working through
the little schemer/lisper in one of his talks, and after having
enjoyed that book a lot, decided to go for more scheme (I might give a
go at scala too for the examples).

I started reading the book last summer through the anglo-celt study
group, but had to abandon quite soon. This year there was not enough
interest to get another session going, so some of us got together and
started this google group and also the P2PU site. Hope this attempt
works out better than the last one! :D

cheers,
Jos

Josmas Flores

Jun 14, 2011, 4:12:10 PM6/14/11
to p2pu...@googlegroups.com
Hey Dustin,
we've just had the first meeting and we thought that we should be
using a wiki. The p2pu site does not offer wiki functionality anymore
so we were talking about using the one you set up a couple of days
ago. Would that be ok with you?

cheers,
Jos