Re: [p2pu-community] A New Idea For A New School!

lila bailey

Apr 23, 2011, 5:14:22 PM4/23/11
to wesleyma...@gmail.com, p2pu-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi Wesley,

This is an interesting idea and I'd like to know more about what you envision. I'm forwarding it to the schools working group list so that the folks who are specifically interested in talking to people about new schools will see it.  Here's a link to the schools working group page on the wiki so you can have an idea of what we've been talking about: http://wiki.p2pu.org/w/page/33028516/p2pu-schools-working-group

Generally when someone proposes an idea for a new school, the next step is for them to draft up a 2-3 page concept paper that outlines what the school would do, who would be involved, whether credit or badges could be offered for completing certain courses or learning pathways, and the like. It would also be helpful to know a bit more about you, your background, and why you want to start the school. The we can discuss ways that P2PU might be able to help and support getting the school off the ground.

Let me know if you're interested!

-Lila

On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 8:06 PM, Wesley Pennock <wesleyma...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello P2PU Community my name is Wesley M. Pennock and am currently
enrolled in Python 101. My school idea is a school designed for
technology in general not just web-development maybe something like
"Nerd School" or "Techie Trainer" but a school none the less. If need
be I would get new members to join from my neck of the woods if need
be to help fuel this school. I could teach a course on general
computing, artificial intelligence(philosophical and mildly practical
pov), and windows security. This is just a thought, I look forward to
hearing your thoughts on my idea.

Wesley Pennock

Apr 23, 2011, 9:56:48 PM4/23/11
to P2PU-schools
Yes I am very interested in creating an new school and would like to
begin the process ASAP! Please show me how. =)

On Apr 23, 4:14 pm, lila bailey <lila.bai...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Wesley,
>
> This is an interesting idea and I'd like to know more about what you
> envision. I'm forwarding it to the schools working group list so that the
> folks who are specifically interested in talking to people about new schools
> will see it.  Here's a link to the schools working group page on the wiki so
> you can have an idea of what we've been talking about:http://wiki.p2pu.org/w/page/33028516/p2pu-schools-working-group
>
> Generally when someone proposes an idea for a new school, the next step is
> for them to draft up a 2-3 page concept paper that outlines what the school
> would do, who would be involved, whether credit or badges could be offered
> for completing certain courses or learning pathways, and the like. It would
> also be helpful to know a bit more about you, your background, and why you
> want to start the school. The we can discuss ways that P2PU might be able to
> help and support getting the school off the ground.
>
> Let me know if you're interested!
>
> -Lila
>
> On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 8:06 PM, Wesley Pennock <wesleymarkpenn...@gmail.com

Stian Håklev

Apr 23, 2011, 10:01:16 PM4/23/11
to p2pu-s...@googlegroups.com
Also remember that there is nothing stopping you from organizing a course or study group around these topics as part of the broader P2PU ... most of our current schools started with organizing a number of courses as part of the general umbrella to prove that there are enough viable course organizers, etc, only then to move on to forming a formal school.

Stian
--
http://reganmian.net/blog -- Random Stuff that Matters

Wesley Pennock

Apr 23, 2011, 10:06:27 PM4/23/11
to P2PU-schools
I have already suggested a course idea, which i guess is a start. I
could draft a course for computer security i suppose. If I do it will
need more than one mod to help run it though.

On Apr 23, 9:01 pm, Stian Håklev <shak...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Also remember that there is nothing stopping you from organizing a course or
> study group around these topics as part of the broader P2PU ... most of our
> current schools started with organizing a number of courses as part of the
> general umbrella to prove that there are enough viable course organizers,
> etc, only then to move on to forming a formal school.
>
> Stian
>
> On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 21:56, Wesley Pennock

lila bailey

Apr 24, 2011, 4:10:33 PM4/24/11
to p2pu-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi Wesley,

Running your own course is a great first step. You will need alot of help if you want to run a school, so you should start getting people involved!

-Lila

Pippa Buchanan

Apr 25, 2011, 9:37:43 AM4/25/11
to p2pu-s...@googlegroups.com
From the perspective of just one person within the School of Webcraft machine, I'd love to have a general technology school that covers many of the topics that we can't include in the Webcraft listing. I'm pretty sure that some topics would overlap too :-)

Would you focus on open technologies? Specifying specific technologies could make it difficult for many people to get involved (eg a Windows focus).

For some great open materials check out the Free Technology Academy: http://ftacademy.org/

P*

Wesley Pennock

Apr 25, 2011, 10:30:43 AM4/25/11
to p2pu-s...@googlegroups.com
I would focus on both open technologies and technologies in industry. I would teach a course over computer security(as soon as I can find materials), programming, algorithms(maybe), and possibly Linux. All these courses would be great but I would need help from people to create and run them. Would you being willing to help?
--
Sincerely,
Wesley Pennock

Pippa Buchanan

Apr 25, 2011, 10:36:56 AM4/25/11
to p2pu-s...@googlegroups.com
Sorry - I'm pretty busy coordinating and community managing the School of Webcraft  - but I can help where I can :-)

From the perspective of keeping a school curriculum together it helps to have a clear definition of what is within the goals of your school.

Try blogging and tweeting about the groups you'd like to see people help organise.

P*

Wesley Pennock

Apr 25, 2011, 10:57:21 AM4/25/11
to p2pu-s...@googlegroups.com
Okay I will get a blog and start coming up with a proposal for the school.
--
Sincerely,
Wesley Pennock

Alison Jean Cole

Apr 25, 2011, 11:55:56 AM4/25/11
to p2pu-s...@googlegroups.com
Hey Wesley,

This is a great idea for a school!

The first steps are to run a few courses and study groups. See if you can encourage some of your peers in the open technologies arena  to run study groups as well. After building some experience within P2PU and gathering a critical mass, then you will certainly be encouraged to think about forming a school and P2PU would love to guide you through the process.

You can receive support while you and others are running your study groups at the P2PU help desk: http://new.p2pu.org/en/groups/p2pu-help-desk/

Best,
ALISON
p2pu.org/users/alison

Wesley Pennock

Apr 25, 2011, 11:43:04 PM4/25/11
to P2PU-schools
Well I just created a personal blog that I will use to detail me on my
journey to getting my Techie School up and running. Hopefully I will
have my first course draft within a month(fingers crossed).
Link to blog: http://techieschool.blogspot.com/