Fwd: [Drumbeat] Social Learning Research Project

Erin Knight

Jul 8, 2011, 10:46:38 AM7/8/11
to p2pu-re...@googlegroups.com

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: C Caruso <cmca...@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 3:59 PM
Subject: [Drumbeat] Social Learning Research Project
To: community...@lists.mozilla.org

Hello!

I'm a graduate student from the Master of Design program at Carleton—
I'm looking at collaborative websites as spaces that promote social
learning, and trying to make some links between classroom education
and online social learning.

I'd love to get some insight from the Drumbeat community on a couple
of factors that I'm seeing through the research.
Please take a look through some of the questions-- any insight at all
would be much appreciated!

*NOTE: This research has been approved by Carleton's Research Ethics
Board, so I have to stipulate that by answering, you are consenting to
participate in the study. Should you not want any information used,
just send me an email and I won't use your responses in the research.

1. What gaps in current models of education do you think online
learning spaces addresses?

2. Why is social learning and participatory technology particularly
significant now compared to even five years ago?

3. With a shift towards participatory culture, do you see the role of
the educator changing?

4. What do you think is the biggest significance of online social
learning spaces?

5. Do you find academic grades to be outdated methods of assessment in
education?

6. Many online social learning spaces include varieties of “status” or
“badges” for various levels of engagement and participation. What do
you think learners gain from this type of assessment?

7. Students identified video as one of the most effective ways to
support learning. What do you think video brings to the learning
experience?

8. The majority of students said they are able to better understand a
subject when learning from peers. Why do you think this is? What is it
about peer-to-peer interaction that’s different from a traditional
lecture?

Assessment and Badge Project Lead
Mozilla and P2PU