10 questions

1 view

Alison Jean Cole

May 10, 2011, 1:12:59 PM5/10/11
to p2pu-researches
If you were going to design a survey to collect data from all P2PU users, but you could only ask 10 questions, what would they be?

ALISON
new.p2pu.org/en/alison/

Rebecca Kahn

May 10, 2011, 3:56:05 PM5/10/11
to p2pu-re...@googlegroups.com
I can only really think of 5. Does that mean I get bonus points for brevity?

1. Where in the world are you?
2. How did you hear about P2PU?
3. What do you like about traditional education?
4. What don't you like about traditional education?
5. How much time, on average, do you spend online every day?

--
Rebecca Kahn
Skype: rebekahn

Jessica Ledbetter

May 10, 2011, 4:58:00 PM5/10/11
to p2pu-re...@googlegroups.com
What role did you have with P2PU this semester?

What did you hope to gain?

Why?

Did you?

Why or why not?

What was your favorite experience with P2PU this semester?

What was your least favorite experience with P2PU this semester?

--
Jessica Ledbetter
http://jessicaledbetter.com

Alan Webb

May 10, 2011, 8:21:00 PM5/10/11
to p2pu-re...@googlegroups.com
What was the most significant change you experienced in yourself during this experience?

Philipp Schmidt

May 11, 2011, 6:35:45 AM5/11/11
to p2pu-re...@googlegroups.com
What's your highest level of education completed?

Why did you sign-up with P2PU? What did you hope to get out of the experience?
- To learn something new that is relevant to my work
- To learn something new that is (mostly) not relevant to my work
- To share knowledge with others and help them learn
- To meet other people interested in learning
- Just out of curiosity
- Other

How important is the opportunity to obtain certification through P2PU?
1 = Not important at all, 5 = Very important

If P2PU facilitated some form of certification, what type of
certification would you be most interested in?
- A certificate that is backed by an accredited institution
- A certificate that is backed by a leading organization in my field
- An online badge, that I can point other people to
- An electronic certificate which I can download and print
- A paper certificate sent to me by mail
- Other

Did you join a study-group/course? (Which one)
How many hours did you spend per week participating in the group?

Did you start/facilitate a study-group/course? (Which one)
How many hours did you spend per week participating in the group?

NO -> Have you considered starting one?
- No, I don't feel like I have enough expertise to share
- No, I don't have enough time
- I wouldn't know where to start, or how to do it

Can you always find the information you need, or get support from
someone in the P2PU community when you have a question?
1 = No, I am having a hard time getting help when I need it, 5 = Yes,
I always get the information I need easily

How long have you been involved in P2PU?

Maria Droujkova

May 11, 2011, 7:00:59 AM5/11/11
to p2pu-re...@googlegroups.com
Did you find collaborations?

Have you joined any new communities as the result of the experience?

Cheers,
Maria Droujkova

Make math your own, to make your own math.

Alison Jean Cole

May 14, 2011, 12:58:55 PM5/14/11
to p2pu-re...@googlegroups.com
Here is my summarization so far. I would have pasted into a pad, but it is down. I can throw this up on the wiki if you all prefer, or we can work on it from here. I based it largely on Philipp's list since his questions would lead to answers that allow us to make direct/significant improvements and added everyone else's in where appropriate. There are currently no questions about demographics.

SURVEY

[...]

YES-> Did you find collaborations?
- Have you joined any new communities as the result of the experience?

NO -> Have you considered starting one?
- No, I don't feel like I have enough expertise to share
- No, I don't have enough time
- I wouldn't know where to start, or how to do it

Can you always find the information you need, or get support from
someone in the P2PU community when you have a question?
1 = No, I am having a hard time getting help when I need it, 5 = Yes,
I always get the information I need easily

How long have you been involved in P2PU?

ALISON
new.p2pu.org/en/alison/

Pippa Buchanan

May 16, 2011, 7:57:46 AM5/16/11
to P2PU-research
I think these questions are good.

However, I'd consider moving the question on educational level to the
end as there are more useful questions that will help us improve P2PU
earlier on.

P*

On May 14, 6:58 pm, Alison Jean Cole <alisonjean.c...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Here is my summarization so far. I would have pasted into a pad, but it is
> down. I can throw this up on the wiki if you all prefer, or we can work on
> it from here. I based it largely on Philipp's list since his questions would
> lead to answers that allow us to make direct/significant improvements and
> added everyone else's in where appropriate. There are currently no questions
> about demographics.
>
> *SURVEY*
> new.p2pu.org/en/alison/ <http://p2pu.org/users/alison>
>
> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 4:00 AM, Maria Droujkova <droujk...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > Did you find collaborations?
>
> > Have you joined any new communities as the result of the experience?
>
> > Cheers,
> > Maria Droujkova
>
> > Make math your own, to make your own math.
>
> > On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 1:12 PM, Alison Jean Cole <
> > alisonjean.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> If you were going to design a survey to collect data from all P2PU users,
> >> but you could only ask 10 questions, what would they be?
>
> >> ALISON
> >> new.p2pu.org/en/alison/ <http://p2pu.org/users/alison>

Rebecca Kahn

May 16, 2011, 8:08:08 AM5/16/11
to p2pu-re...@googlegroups.com
I had thought we were interested in gathering more demographic information (location, gender, language etc) which we can't always get from google analytics. So my only suggestion might be to throw some more of those kinds of questions in there.
If not, though, then no worries.

I am happy to get some sociologist types to take a look at this in the meantime, and see what kind of feedback they might have.

Alison Jean Cole

May 16, 2011, 11:21:59 PM5/16/11
to p2pu-re...@googlegroups.com
I think demographics is useful information the the purpose of answering the question "who uses P2PU currently". We would use this information in talking about and "marketing" P2PU. If this is important to us, then we could certainly add these questions in.

ALISON
new.p2pu.org/en/alison/

Alison Jean Cole

May 31, 2011, 3:30:34 PM5/31/11
to p2pu-re...@googlegroups.com
Here is a final draft of the micro-survey based on everyone's feedback.

In addition to the following questions do we want to collect the following information:
- location
- age
- highest level of education completed
- profession/passion

SURVEY (7 Questions)

Rebecca Kahn

May 31, 2011, 3:55:11 PM5/31/11
to p2pu-re...@googlegroups.com
I think the age and location questions will be useful and important.
Highest level of education too.

I'm going to show this to some social scientist friends in the meantime, to see if they have any feedback.

Thanks Ali!

Philipp Schmidt

Jun 1, 2011, 6:23:02 AM6/1/11
to p2pu-re...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for pushing this along Ali!

Great input from the "schools" people, but not too much input from the research group so far. I wonder why that is the case.

Please do share with your friends Bekka. It is super important to get people who have experience in this space to look over the questions. It's very easy to ask things that turn out to be impossible to analyze later ... --- P

Jessy Kate Schingler

Jun 1, 2011, 3:59:39 PM6/1/11
to p2pu-re...@googlegroups.com
it's true... for my part, i'm not experienced in "real" survey design, but i also feel a bit like since i've been participating in these discussions we've had about 3 or 4 big survey pushes... and i've never actually seen results from any of them. so it could be that i wasn't looking hard enough, but i'm sorry to say it's a bit of a de-motivator :(. that said i also haven't taken it upon myself to follow up or find out what happened, or be part of survey distribution, so i'm as guilty as any!

Jessy

Alison Jean Cole

Jun 22, 2011, 5:08:36 PM6/22/11
to p2pu-re...@googlegroups.com
Please review and edit the survey. It's about 90% there - but answers option/styles may need to be cleaned up.. I am still not 100% dialed into limequery.

"P2PU Short Survey"
http://p2puniversity.limequery.com/admin/admin.php

ALISON
p2pu.org/en/alison/